63 Avanti A-Arm Bushing/Grease seals

Jpriesterpe

Finally getting back to rebuilding the suspension on my 63 Avanti.  Have run into an issue installing new a-arm bushing/grease seals in both the upper and lower a-arms.  Have new bushing/grease seals from Studebaker International but when I go to screw them into the arms they only go a couple of turns then stop.  I hesitant to try and force them as I am not sure what the reason for them not going in all the way.

I have go through both the Avanti and Studebaker shop manuals covering the installation a couple of time to be sure I am not missing some key instruction.  Does any one have a suggestion of what I am not doing correctly or how to get them  to screw all the way in?

Thanks for you comments and help

John Priester

That job can be a little nerve wracking!, however, after lubing the bushings and pins with motor oil or STP, I drive them home evenly, alternating equal turns front to rear, with a breaker bar or long handled 1/2" ratchet until they seat. Sometimes it takes PLENTY of force!

Although not really necessary, I usually place a caster-camber gauge against the spindle before backing off the upper pin bushings, then I try to duplicate those readings when re-installing.

Check the inner thread.

I had this problem once with one bushing. I couldn't get it to wind in.

I struggled with it for hours  until I looked inside at the thread. It wasn't threaded all the way down and ran out of thread before it could seat properly.

Double check the thread goes all the way.

pb

Edited by 1963r2