R 4501

VtMike

It appears there are two conflicting claims about Avanti R 4501.

On Bob Johnstone's Avanti page, Owen Delve of Goderich, Ontario, claims R 4501 was owned by his Uncle John, that the Hamilton, Ontario Stude operation (plant?) did a factory authorized engine swap to replace the original R2 with an R3, and that R 4501 was later totaled.  Here is the link:  https://studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R4000/63R4501/r4501x12082016.txt

On the other hand, just yesterday, Tony Moro posted pictures on the Avanti Facebook of a beautiful gray Avanti that he says is R 4501, very much alive and well, and sporting an engine with an R3 air box.  

It is interesting that both claims say R 4501 was gray and the engine may be an R3.

Anyway, this is the first time I have heard that there may have been one or more engine swaps from R2 to R3 done at the Hamilton, Ontario plant.  Can anyone confirm that and shed any further light on it?

Also, can anyone resolve the conflicting claims on R 4501?

Thanks, Mike

Based on Facebook exchanges, it looks like R 4501 is the same Avanti that Owen Delve's uncle once owned.  I guess it is possible it was totaled and then rebuilt, but there is nothing confirming that so far . . . 

I mentioned on FB, that chat occasionally with Owen and emailed him when this came up.  He responded with a somewhat detailed response that I have yet to publish, as he asked that I withhold anything until he goes back to his sources and verifies what was said.  Nothing as of today however, so let's just wait and see.