Price guide: Avanti values up 4%...

J Boyle

The folks over at Sports Car Market and American Collector Car magazines have released a new pocket price guide. For the first time in a long time, they say Avanti values are up...in this cars 4%. Now they say a #2 condition 63-64 R1 is worth $15-26K, an R2 $18-32K (up from $14.5-25 and $18-30). Not much of a change, but I'll take what I can get. At least it's trending upward.

• 2 weeks later...

Those price guides may be some help, but don't count on them for real world accuracy. They're a rough guide at best. When I wanted to sell my '69 Corvette 427 Tri-power convertible, I couldn't get within $26k of its appraised value by potential buyers...both book value and actual evaluation by a recognized Corvette expert. I was willing to sell it for a fair price but the offers weren't realistic at all. I'm still enjoying the car.

Price guides aren't perfect...and sometimes aren't worth the paper they're printed on. But this is one put out by a high-end magazine that has some sway with big time collectors (if they think it's gaining traction, perhaps some will take another look at it).

The fact that this price guide shows upward movement is, in itself, great news. It shows that the car is increasing in desirability. That's good news regardless of any specific numbers attached.

Edited by J Boyle