63Avanti rear view windshield position

DickC

I have a new windshield installed but need dimensions to place the mirror properly.

I assume horizontally on center but height from dashboard ?

Thanks

....Dick

I have a new windshield installed but need dimensions to place the mirror properly.

I assume horizontally on center but height from dashboard ?

Thanks

....Dick

In the factory location the top of the base is 3 3/4 inches from the bottom of the windshield, measured from the outside edge of the windshield rubber seal.

A Service Letter from 1-29-1964 moves the mirror higher for better vision if desired. Measure 3 1/2 inches DOWN from the top of the windshield rubber seal an locate the top of the base at that mark.

Bob Langer

Thank You, Bob. Think I'll go with the higher location.

....Dick

• 2 months later...

Good Choice. Another thing I discovered... I could not tighten the mirror mounting post tight enough to keep the mirror in place when crossing RR tracks or rumble strips. RED LOCTITE solved the problem. Just put a couple drops on each ball, adjust the mirror and let it sit overnight! It is a good idea to place a plastic bag and a towel on top of the dash though... as you do not want a drip or two of LOCTITE on your dash.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the small adapter from the mount to the mirror, the one I ordered from Jon Myer was smooth and probably brushed aluminum. He got it from another vendor whom I forgot. That price was around $27 and much much better than the polished one from Studebaker International that cracked when tightening the set screws