Avanti II Battery Type

bobconant

Dear Folks,

I have a 1982 Avanti II. Does anyone know what brand and type battery was used in the late Altman Avanti's? Also the official size. I think it's a group 24 but I'm not positive. I'd like to replace the battery with one that is as authentic as possible. Failing any definitive answer, I can just go with a Die-Hard as they have been around forever. Thank you for any thoughts or advice.

Regards,

Bob Conant

Bradenton, FL

RQB3420

The proper size would be a Group size 24 if it has top post terminals and Group size 74 if side-terminal equipped. I have no idea what brand battery was factory original...possibly Delco since so much other was GM sourced, but it also could have been whatever brands were available at the best price as they may not have been wedded to one supplier for batteries.

Consumer Reports occasionally does auto battery tests and NAPA Gold, Walmart Maxx, Interstate Megatron and Costco's Kirkland brand tend to be at the top of the lists. They had downrated the Die Hard several years back but have given it good rating after Sears changed manufacturers of the battery.

On a personal note, I've been using Walmart Maxx batteries with excellent service...just last week one died out with a few months left on the warranty. The schlubs in Walmart's service center were afraid to replace it as they said the hold down bolt was frozen. In attempting to do so they somehow managed to short out my alternator...the car had to be flatbedded to a repair facility for that to be repaired. I'm still awaiting a reply from Walmart management on reimbursing me for all that. I'm not complaining about the service of the Maxx battery but I won't be buying anymore from Walmart.

• 2 months later...

For completeness in case anyone does a search and finds this forum topic: I did purchase a group 24 Diehard battery and it is working fine in the car. AFTER THAT I read my owner's manual for the 1982 Avanti II and it states that the battery when new was a Delco maintenance free battery. Uff Da.

Bob

Bradenton