Esoteric Body Question

J Boyle

Okay, ready for one of the oddest questions you'll get all day?

The bolt holding the hood prop to the inner fender of my 63 came undone and was lost.

So, I have to reattach the lower end back to the car to get the hood to stay open.

S-I sells part 1336807 for the job...(it's seen on page 142 of their new catalog).

From the drawing it appears to be a bolt. washer and nut combo piece and for $5.50, I think (hope) it's more than just a bolt.

However, the parts manual also lists:

G120368 Net, Hex 5/16

1463X36 spring washer

41X195 plain washer

G138538 Lock washer 5/16.

Do I need the other 4 parts?

If so, can someone tell me, in English, what those parts are and what I have to ask for at a bolt store or FLAPS?

Thanks.

Edited by J Boyle

Those four parts listed were to be locally sourced by a dealer...probably from either a local auto parts supplier or a company that sells fasteners, bolts, washers, etc., as their line of business. There's no reason why dealers had to buy washers of various sizes and types direct from Studebaker.

Whether the parts from SI are special or not I can't say, but I see no reason something can't be found locally...a fastener with an e-clip, snap ring or similar. It all really comes down to whether you want your car truly correct or you're ok with some deviation from being correct.

I want it correct...I don't want some regualr bolts under there after all the trouble I've gone through to keep the engine bay stock.

And anyone translate the parts book anguage for the other pieces....or better yet tell me if I even need them or would the main bolt be enough to do the trick?

Edited by J Boyle

The G120368 is a standard, grade 5, cadmium-plated, 3/8 x 24 fine thread nut that is available at any auto parts store. The G138--- series washers are standard, external-tooth, star washers. I assume G138538 is 3/8" size, though I don't have any. The 41X series of washers are plain body/fender washers, each of which has a unique diameter and hole size. I have a lot of them, but not the 41X195, so can't tell you what size it should be. I have a bunch of Stude spring washers, but none in the 1463X series. I can probably send you one that will fit a 3/8" bolt, but cannot guarantee that it will look like a 1463X36.