64 Avanti Stored for 30 Yeasr

rcrayjr

I am a newbie to the site and I have inhertited a 1964 Studebaker Avanti which I believe is an R1 model. My father was the original owner and it has been sitting in his garage for years. I had the car flatbedded to my friends garage where I have been debating on selling it or restoring it. We got the engine to turnover, but the compression was off. I was told a good soak might cure this, but I am not a mechanic.

I am trying to find out what the car is worth. Here is the link to the pictures... https://picasaweb.go...2CGg&feat=email . I wanted to have it pictured in its current condition before clean up. I was also told to mention the 'hawg troughs' are in great condition. Here is the ebay listing... http://cgi.ebay.com/...=&category=6466 . There has been a lot of interest in the car... I don't need the money, so I don't have to sell it, but would like to know what its worth and I am interested in offers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Clint

Edited by rcrayjr

Clint, others can tell you better a value. But, since it is your fathers and you do not need the money, may I offer a few points to consider:

1.Do not consider selling now, wait a bit. You can always sell it but never buy back easily.

2.Do not think about spending money to restore, especially since you are not a mechanic yourself.

3.Since the engine turns over, it will run...a little light oil in the cylinders will help the compression. Tell you mechanic to pre-oil engine before starting. He will know what that means, if not get it out of his hands TODAY.

4.Get it running with as few maintenance parts as possible...you will be surprised how little it takes. Drain gas and change fluids.

5.Clean the interior, clean and polish the exterior (it looks pretty good)

6.Power wash the engine compartment and especially the underside. Then spray phosphoric acid (green plastic jug at Home Depot, etc) on underside. It is cheap and will stabilize the surface corrosion under side and turn the brown to a clean black color

7.get antique insurance from Haggerty or some other classic insurer. You can get $15,000 valuation, liability, everything for $100-150/yr.

8.Get some new tires on it, whatever dad put on it looks weenie. Get commonly available 215R70-15 which is modern equivalent of original tires.

9.Drive it, take to some local car shows, have fun with it, enjoy explaining what, where, whose with other when they ask "what the hell is that car?" man that is neat"

All this will cost you $500-800 to have fun for a year and then decide what you want to do.

If I can help advise further, contact me.

Joe

I am a newbie to the site and I have inhertited a 1964 Studebaker Avanti which I believe is an R1 model. My father was the original owner and it has been sitting in his garage for years. I had the car flatbedded to my friends garage where I have been debating on selling it or restoring it. We got the engine to turnover, but the compression was off. I was told a good soak might cure this, but I am not a mechanic.

I am trying to find out what the car is worth. Here is the link to the pictures... https://picasaweb.go...2CGg&feat=email . I wanted to have it pictured in its current condition before clean up. I was also told to mention the 'hawg troughs' are in great condition. Here is the ebay listing... http://cgi.ebay.com/...=&category=6466 . There has been a lot of interest in the car... I don't need the money, so I don't have to sell it, but would like to know what its worth and I am interested in offers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Clint

Edited by Devildog

Great advice. I would add to that rebuild the brakes...whether it means rebuilding the calipers and wheel cylinders or replacing them. Also replace the rubber hoses and give the metal lines a really good inspection and replace if needed. I wouldn't find it surprising if much of the brake system is rusted shut. A complete flushing out and replacement of the brake fluid is in order as well.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive on brake issues as the brakes failed on my car this past Spring. That's not something you want to experience.

Joe,

Thank you greatly for the advise! I will check with my buddy and see what he thinks will need to be done and if I keep it... it will definitely have new tires!

Clint

Clint, others can tell you better a value. But, since it is your fathers and you do not need the money, may I offer a few points to consider:

1.Do not consider selling now, wait a bit. You can always sell it but never buy back easily.

2.Do not think about spending money to restore, especially since you are not a mechanic yourself.

3.Since the engine turns over, it will run...a little light oil in the cylinders will help the compression. Tell you mechanic to pre-oil engine before starting. He will know what that means, if not get it out of his hands TODAY.

4.Get it running with as few maintenance parts as possible...you will be surprised how little it takes. Drain gas and change fluids.

5.Clean the interior, clean and polish the exterior (it looks pretty good)

6.Power wash the engine compartment and especially the underside. Then spray phosphoric acid (green plastic jug at Home Depot, etc) on underside. It is cheap and will stabilize the surface corrosion under side and turn the brown to a clean black color

7.get antique insurance from Haggerty or some other classic insurer. You can get $15,000 valuation, liability, everything for $100-150/yr.

8.Get some new tires on it, whatever dad put on it looks weenie. Get commonly available 215R70-15 which is modern equivalent of original tires.

9.Drive it, take to some local car shows, have fun with it, enjoy explaining what, where, whose with other when they ask "what the hell is that car?" man that is neat"

All this will cost you $500-800 to have fun for a year and then decide what you want to do.

If I can help advise further, contact me.

Joe

Thanks for the advise on the brakes! My buddy already told me that would be an issue that needed to be addressed before driving it!!

Great advice. I would add to that rebuild the brakes...whether it means rebuilding the calipers and wheel cylinders or replacing them. Also replace the rubber hoses and give the metal lines a really good inspection and replace if needed. I wouldn't find it surprising if much of the brake system is rusted shut. A complete flushing out and replacement of the brake fluid is in order as well.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive on brake issues as the brakes failed on my car this past Spring. That's not something you want to experience.

if I keep it... it will definitely have new tires!

Clint

For a good set of reasonably priced proper size tires with a correct narrow whitewall, I'll suggest 205/75 Cooper Trendsetter SE tires. About $80 each.