parts needed

ken1007

Ken...

It's been a few years, so inventory could be depleted, but I got a new set of parking brake cables from Nostalgic Motors.

Which hood release cable do you need? I have spare cables that actually release the hood latches...are you in need of them or the cable from under the dash to the pivot under the hood? I bought a new one of those from Nostalgic as well, but the handle is not a match for the original. Since my car is modified anyway, I didn't care. You should be able to find that from Nostalgic as well. For all I know they may make them up as needed...not difficult if you have the correct tool.

For the jack handle...do you need the folding handle or the scissors jack itself? Again...depending on how correct you want to be, you can find a universal scissors jack inexpensively. My car came without the jack and I simply bought a Goodwrench scissors jack at Wal Mart for less then $15.00. You can always buy one of those for use and save an original jack for show...you should be able to come up with a handle...swap meets, etc. That jack and handle wasn't exclusive to Studebakers and Avanti's.

Ken...

It's been a few years, so inventory could be depleted, but I got a new set of parking brake cables from Nostalgic Motors.

Which hood release cable do you need? I have spare cables that actually release the hood latches...are you in need of them or the cable from under the dash to the pivot under the hood? I bought a new one of those from Nostalgic as well, but the handle is not a match for the original. Since my car is modified anyway, I didn't care. You should be able to find that from Nostalgic as well. For all I know they may make them up as needed...not difficult if you have the correct tool.

For the jack handle...do you need the folding handle or the scissors jack itself? Again...depending on how correct you want to be, you can find a universal scissors jack inexpensively. My car came without the jack and I simply bought a Goodwrench scissors jack at Wal Mart for less then $15.00. You can always buy one of those for use and save an original jack for show...you should be able to come up with a handle...swap meets, etc. That jack and handle wasn't exclusive to Studebakers and Avanti's.

Bruce, thanks, I'll check with Nostalgic. I have both cables but the brake cable has some broken strands and I could not find any reference to the jack handle

or hood release cable in the books. The hood release cable broke loose from the point where it joins the handle, maybe Nostalgic can fix it. Want to stay as close to original as possible. Have no idea what jack handle should look like but woud like an original. l Found all three original parts from ebay seller but have not heard from him (or her) for several weeks and have given up. Ken

Edited by ken1007

Bruce, thanks, I'll check with Nostalgic. I have both cables but the brake cable has some broken strands and I could not find any reference to the jack handle

or hood release cable in the books. The hood release cable broke loose from the point where it joins the handle, maybe Nostalgic can fix it. Want to stay as close to original as possible. Have no idea what jack handle should look like but woud like an original. l Found all three original parts from ebay seller but have not heard from him (or her) for several weeks and have given up. Ken

Nostalgic probably has the brake cables...if they don't, try Jon Myers or Stude International. A local automotive machine shop may be able to make up a cable for you as well.

I've attached a scan of the spare tire, jack and handle from a Studebaker owners manual and it shows the jack handle. It folds and locks straight out. As far as I know, it doesn't come with any identifying marks as to being Studebaker or any other make car...so if you can find one otherwise, I would think it's acceptable.

jack handle