Front Bra for a 63 Avanti

Red63R3

Folks - am about to start having 63R 2552 judged at a few concours within driving distance and want some protection for the trips. Is anyone making a front bra for the '63? Otherwise am considering using Eastwood's white chafe tape ( http://www.eastwood.com/final-assembly-chafe-tape.html - same type used on leading edges for new cars in transit on trucks/trains ) - has anyone had an experience with that stuff? Thanks Steve

They pop up on Ebay every now and then. I have one I use for my car...been hauling it around for over 30 years though admittedly I don't use it often. Mine is for square headlight bezel cars...they were made for round eye cars as well.

You can try Wardlow's Kustom Masks as they list the Avanti...Wardlow Kustom Mask. I have no idea the cost.

The Avanti's one design nemesis is the front. I too have been bothered how to protect the paint. Mine is black. I will not use a bra since it will burnish the paint at Interstate speeds. I refuse to use that white protective stuff sold by Eastwood. Nothing wrong with it, but I want the car to look good all the time. Being a Helicopter pilot I came across product we call "Helicopter Tape". (3M Polyurethane Protective Tape) It is the toughest film you will find. It's clear and in other colors. It is very flexible and conforms to convex and concave shapes well. I use the clear. It is great for preventing stone chips or road rash on front and rear quarters too. I've used it on several cars. It can be left on permanently or taken off after that Interstate run. One caveat though. The adhesives is quite tenacious and if you have poor paint application, it might pull the paint off. Although I have never had that happen. I make sure I have freshly applied a protective coating or wax to prevent just that problem. I find that it is near impossible to reapply tape without bubbles, compared to the first time when it is crystal clear and not really noticeable except to the scrutinizing viewer. Because of the complex surfaces of the front, I made several sections. Little pieces above and below park lights. One piece across front and a separate piece around each head light area.

There is one MAJOR drawback for this tape. If it wasn't for this one negative, you would see this stuff on many Avanti's. The drawback is the cost. About $500 to $600 a roll. If you are lucky, you may have a friend at a Chopper maintenance facility or a 3M salesman friend.

I do not know how to embed code in this text so copy this link and paste in your browser for general tape and supplier info. http://able123.com/industrial-protective-tapes-c-1_77_113/3m-polyester-protective-tape-336-transparent-18-in-x-144-yd-1-p-16064

TT

Absolutely correct about the problem with "road rash" with the Avanti design. The slope of the front (and the windshield) seems to be set at the optimum angle for bugs to hit and squash rather than deflect, and for stones to do maximum paint and glass damage.

While I do occasionally use the bra for my '70 Avanti and it does fit well, I too am concerned about it rubbing the paint. Maybe that's less damage than a stone chip but it can still be cumulative over the long run. Since most of my driving is local or fairly local, I don't often use the bra. Highway driving...I'll put it on. It also tends to rub the pinstripes and make them begin to lift off...another reason why I limit use of the bra.

On my '02 Avanti, I had the 3M clear bra installed. Since there's no template for that, it had to be custom cut. The shop that installed it did a great job...the boss did it himself to make sure it was done correctly. When the 3M distributor heard an Avanti was coming into the shop for a clear bra he made a point of being there to see the car.

On my way to the shop for the install (about a forty mile drive), I picked up a stone chip on the front end...it was a good thing I had touch up paint in the car so that could be corrected. It was a long install...about six hours. As Tiger Tom said...it is expensive. My justification was that the clear bra was cheaper than a paint job due to road rash.

The other downside? If you look carefully you can see the edge of the tape...wax buildup can make it more visible. It does get tiring to hear people ask me if I know about the "scratch" across the hood. I even had to explain it to the judges at Gettysburg.

• 2 weeks later...

The bra for me is to basically get me back and forth from regional shows that are never more than 100 miles or so away - in that use I'm worrying less about bra rub and more about stone(s) decimating the new paint job up front. Will report back once the new bra arrives about fit and how it behaves - have the car showing in the Santa Barbara Concours this year in late october so will be road testing the new bra then. SV

About the 3M tape...

On my other car I had a paint crack on a rear fender. Since repainting isn't an option (due to age and pinstripes) I called the local detailing shop that sells and installs the tape protection bras.

They gave me a couple of square feet along with the alcohol/water mix used to moisten the tape during installation. It worked great. I don't have to worry about any paint peeling.

I cut out a small piece and installed it inside the Avanti fuelcap area to prevent chips.

I've kept the rest and plan on using it if any cracks start on my cars.