radio reception

J Boyle

My stock 63 Avanti R1 is back on the road following an engine-out restoration.

The stock AM radio is getting a lot of static....which of course disappears when the engine isn't running. :o

All the stainless steel shielding is in place.

I didn't have the trouble before, so I'm pretty sure its not plug wires or missing capacitors.

I'm guessing it's a ground...but again the radio does work fine when the engine is off.

Any suggestions as to where to start?

Does the static go up and down with engine rpm's? If so, it's probably alternator whine. Ignition noise stays pretty constant. Adding additional grounds is a good start...replacing capacitors and noise filters as well. Also make sure the antenna is well grounded, but that's probably not part of your problem but could contribute to poor reception otherwise. Since you've had the engine out for rebuilding the problem must be under the hood rather than the radio itself.

Since the engine was out...maybe the capacitors and filters that were present were reinstalled in the wrong locations. Different capacitors and condensers have different values for different functions.

While this isn't a part of your question, you should also "trim" the antenna once everything else is taken care of. Remove the tuning knob and bezel and you'll see a little screw above the tuning shaft. Set the tuner to a station (not strong) near 1400 on the AM dial. Turn the screw until you get the strongest reception and you've "trimmed" the antenna. Doing that has more or less become a lost bit of knowledge since the advent of digital radios in cars.

Gunslinger's reply jogged my memory about the '64 I had 45 years ago. I also had the alternator whine, which disappeared after wiring something into the alternator to eliminate the noise.

Does the static go up and down with engine rpm's? If so, it's probably alternator whine.

Yes it does. What next?

Since the engine was out...maybe the capacitors and filters that were present were reinstalled in the wrong locations. Different capacitors and condensers have different values for different functions.

Any specific part names or numbers I should get?

Since it seems to be alternator whine, you have to concentrate on that. Make sure the alternator case is well secured and grounded and the engine itself is well grounded to the frame. Maybe there's fresh paint keeping the ground cables from making good contact.

You can go to NAPA or an automotive stereo shop and pick up a new filter or capacitor. I don't know what values are appropriate but a good shop can give you some advice. It's been a long time but I believe a condenser for the alternator mounts to the casing and the connector attaches to the positive lead. I could be wrong on that but it grounds to the alternator case.

A condenser might be in order for the voltage regulator as well.