Avanti 3EE Battery

Jim McCuan

Can anyone provide documentation as to the factory issue battery manufacturer. Common answers are Willard, however, the '63 Avanti Accessories brochure shows Globe.

Hi Jim, My 55 that Charlie Rasuchnot serviced had brochures showing the Willard battery

I'm not sure what the later models had.

Nice seeing you at the SDC meet.

Steve

Hi Jim, My 55 that Charlie Rasuchnot serviced had brochures showing the Willard battery

I'm not sure what the later models had.

Nice seeing you at the SDC meet.

Steve

Great to meet you, Steve. Near as I can piece together in lieu of factory documentation, the Willard was installed at the factory. The Accessories brochure featured the Globe as Globe had patented the dry charge battery process in 1962, so it was easier for dealers who dealt in smaller quantities over longer time periods.

Keep me updated on your newest Avanti.

Jim: I don't have 'official' documentation' concerning the batteries originally installed. That said, they WERE Willard from the factory. Black case, tar top, red caps. I still have the original battery that was installed new in our Avanti. I had a battery manufacturer 'rebuild' it several times over the years but after the fourth time, they said they could not do it again. I think they just didn't want to do that type of work any longer. BUT.....I still have the batterty. If your coming to G/Burg, I'll bring a picture of it along. stupak

Jim: I knew that I had some type of specification information. I spent a few hours seaching this morning and here's what I came up with.

AMA Specifications - Passenger Car, pub no. AMA-40A, for 63R and 63R Supercharged vehicles, issued 7/62, Revised 11/30/62, Page 10 states:

Electric Supply System: Make and Model - Willard HDD-3EE, volts 12 - amp hr 60

Hope this helps. We have owned our 1963 Avanti since February 1965. I have just about everything ever printed on the Avanti, 'somewhere'!

stupak

Jim: I knew that I had some type of specification information. I spent a few hours seaching this morning and here's what I came up with.

AMA Specifications - Passenger Car, pub no. AMA-40A, for 63R and 63R Supercharged vehicles, issued 7/62, Revised 11/30/62, Page 10 states:

Hope this helps. We have owned our 1963 Avanti since February 1965. I have just about everything ever printed on the Avanti, 'somewhere'!

stupak

Thanks much ! I just love having documented info as opposed to memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim: I don't have 'official' documentation' concerning the batteries originally installed. That said, they WERE Willard from the factory. Black case, tar top, red caps. I still have the original battery that was installed new in our Avanti. I had a battery manufacturer 'rebuild' it several times over the years but after the fourth time, they said they could not do it again. I think they just didn't want to do that type of work any longer. BUT.....I still have the batterty. If your coming to G/Burg, I'll bring a picture of it along. stupak

Stupak,

Hello, I am the guy who is doing the "Authenticity Manual" for the international. I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO HAVE A COUPLE OF PICTURES OF YOUR BATTERY FOR THE MANUAL. You can send them to: gregprince22@hotmail.com. Thank You!!!!!

stupak

Yes, we will be arriving in Gettysburg Thursday afternoon. Please look us up.

Can anyone provide documentation as to the factory issue battery manufacturer. Common answers are Willard, however, the '63 Avanti Accessories brochure shows Globe.

I was at a car show yesterday in Red Bank, N.J. There was a pretty 63 R2 with about 36,000 miles (round headlights). That car had the Willard battery. This was a really nice original car. Sadly, not for sale as they just got the car back from Myers for some work as they said.

I was at a car show yesterday in Red Bank, N.J. There was a pretty 63 R2 with about 36,000 miles (round headlights). That car had the Willard battery. This was a really nice original car. Sadly, not for sale as they just got the car back from Myers for some work as they said.

Jim, if you saw the white Avanti at the AOAI meet last week, it is original, low mileage and still has the original Willard battery that came with the car. He had the battery rebuilt a number of times.

It has the red caps, tar top and red Willard name on the outside of the case (not engine side).

Antique Battery Co. in Ohio sells reproduction Willard batteries in the 3DEE size that look very similar to the originals, with one exception; The Williard name is not red, and the name faces the engine, and not the inner fender. This battery is a gel cell type battery, the similar to the Optima brand of battery.

I have one in my black Avanti and it works well, and cranks better than it ever did with a conventional battery.

Lew