1973 AMC Javelin design study

j the teacher

There are no coincidences in the auto world. The Avanti itself shows lines of some of Loewy's previous personal designs, though those designs the Avanti borrows from were somewhat grotesque...at least to my eye. Under Loewy's direction, his team pulled the best of those previous designs and the Avanti was the result.

The Avanti may have been the first to have a long hood, short rear deck design...several years before the Mustang or Barracuda, though it's in the GT class, not a "ponycar". But...the Mustang gets the credit, though we know it's really not the case.

That Javelin does have the distinct Avanti lines. If form follows function, then it's no wonder the overall design of many cars are similar.

You are right on Gunslinger, both in some of Loewy's earlier designs ending up in some form in the Avanti and also in that the '73 Javelin was one of many cars that copied many design cues of the "failed" Avanti. The copying of the Avanti stylings have been going on for many years. I even see some of the "Avanti-type" style in my '03 Honda Accord. Key elements of the Avanti designs have lived on long after Studebaker's demise. I definitely was around, but never understood who classed it or why the Avanti was considered a GT type car and not one of the first "Muscle cars". Shouldn't the '62 GT Hawk get a little credit for being an early GT car? Did Studebaker class the Hawk and Avanti as GT cars and a year after their demise the term "Muscle Car" evolved? I recall there being a ton of Mustang GT's, the '64 GTO, which I just heard this past weekend on Muscle Cars being called the first "Muscle Car" I guess there was a lot of the "Obama Koolaid" flowing back in the mid sixty's to revise the beginnings of the muscle car era to exclude Studebaker from any credit.

My understanding of how cars are classed is flawed, I'm sure, and the definitions don't always make sense as there seems to be a lot of overlap in how different people define them. The way I understand it, a true "muscle car" is an intermediate size car with a large displacement engine, and the muscle car era lasted between 1964 and 1971, before government and insurance edicts castrated them and cars were downsized. The '64 Pontiac GTO is considered the first true muscle car and it defined the term. Muscle cars include, besides the GTO, the Chevelle, Dodge Charger and Coronet, the Plymouth Road Runner and GTX, the Ford Torino GT and Mercury Cyclones and AMC Rebel, Machine, etc. Some call the mid-1950's Chrysler 300 the first muscle car, but it doesn't meet the classic criteria of being an intermediate size car. Studebaker Daytona's in R-engine trim, wouldn't qualify as they never came with a large displacement engine, regardless of their level of performance.

Cars like the Mustang, Barracuda, Camaro, Firebird, etc., are referred to as Pony Cars. They can have small to large engines and are exemplified by the long hood, short rear deck designs. This definition also includes AMC Javelins, Dodge Challengers and Mercury Cougars. As already said, they aren't defined by a particular sized engine but their size and design.

GT cars are somewhat more nebulous in defining. They seem to be cars of higher than standard performance, smaller than full-size and usually seat four. They tend to be more expensive than muscle or pony cars, and are intended to get their occupants to their destination in style and reasonable comfort...and quickly. The Avanti fits that definition better than the previous ones...as does the GT Hawk. You can make an argument that the Hawk and Avanti compete against one another in the marketplace. Other cars in the GT class might be the contemporary Buick Riviera, Pontiac Grand Prix, Ford Thunderbird and Chevy Monte Carlo, though they may better be included in the "personal luxury" class...the GT Hawk could be included there as well. The term "personal luxury" didn't really come about until maybe later in the '60s...about the time the later Grand Prix and Monte Carlo came about.

The term "muscle car" is so misused that it really doesn't have much meaning anymore. Today it's probably more of an advertising gimmick and slogan than anything else.

• 2 months later...

I wanted an Avanti long before I bought my 73 Javelin in the mid 70's, but was not able to own one until recently.

I am glad that AMC ran out of money and didn't make the 73 look like any of the concepts in the OPs link.

In particular, the fronts on the concept models look terrible. The actual 73's look great IMO.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

From that angle, the front fender looks like a Pinto. The tailights look like first gen Camaro.

Sorry, I don't see much Avanti in it.

IMHO, it looks more like a design study for a "beefier" Mustang II-type concet.

Not bad looking, but no Avanti...