'76 RQB Window seals

plwindish

Last month I took my new acquisition '76 Avanti II through a Delta Sonic car wash for a Super Kiss wash and got the super shower as a "bonus". Water was really coming in through the driver's window on top where the glass comes in contact with the back of the vent window seal and I guess the front window channel seal. The guy I bought the car from delivered it to me with a neatly folded white towel behind the driver's seat on the floor. Jeez, I thought he had forgotten it. Talking with him later and relaying my car and body wash experience to him, he said that's what the towel was for, to hold up against the top of the window when going through the car wash. Today, it was a balmy 45 - 50 in sunny Tinley Park, IL so I backed the car out of the garage in the driveway and did a warm water wash. Hand washing got leaks from the driver's window, and both rear side windows. I saw all the window seals are available in the Studebaker International catalog. One question is are they a pain to remove and install the new seals? If they are a pain to do, who in the Chicago land area does replace the seals is the second question. I want to drive to Springfield MO and Gettysburg this summer without wearing the poncho inside the car when its raining so I'd appreciate some advice.

I got curious after reading another post about the Avanti going "down under". "Gunslinger" answered the inquiry about what engine was in the car by the number or prefix. My build sheet said the engine # is TI 211C8B. All my information says the car was built with a 400 -Rochester 4 barrel carb. Where can the engine number be found on the motor? Many thanks for any assistance from my "fellow Avanti brothers".

plwindish

Welcome to the world of Avanti's! You've already experienced one of the more "endearing" traits of the cars...water leaks. If I could give you advice on dealing with that...my own car wouldn't have the leaks.

If you want to find the engine ID, it's stamped into a machined pad in front of the right side cylinder head. It could be painted over or covered in crud. The alternator or some other engine accessory could be blocking your view of it as well. The "T" in the number listed on the build sheet means the engine was cast at the Tonawanda, NY GM engine plant. The rest of the number should be codes for casting date and other ID numbers. It's confusing as GM reused ID suffixes at various times. It often takes the suffix with the date code to determine for sure what some engines are. The information I have shows a C8B suffix identifies the block as a '79 305, which we know isn't accurate. I just don't have the right information to ID it further. It is confusing.

If you can read the stamping on the machined pad, and if it matches the numbers on the build sheet, you know you have the original engine still in the car. If not, give us the numbers and we can see if it can be more accurately ID'd.

Maybe we'll meet if you make it to Gettysburg this summer...I live barely a half hour from there and intend to be there...at least on Saturday.

Thanks for the info Gunslinger. This weekend when I stick my nose back under the hood, I'll look and see if the numbers on the motor match the build sheet numbers. Hope to see you @ Gettysburg in July.

plwindish