Color code - wheel

BillyBob

I've read most of the "historical info" in the Forum about wheel color - does anyone have color code by paint manufacturer for the "correct" '63 Avanti wheel color?

All Stude Avanti rims were painted a beige, regardless of body color. Ford Wimbledon White is supposed to be the closest match for an over the counter paint. You can also buy spray cans of the correct color from vendors like Studebaker International.

Thanks -- my painter needs(wants?) more. Paint code by paint manufacturer would work best. Call me cheap, as an alternative I could by an aerosol can, paint a panel and then have a local paint supplier match -- I'd rather not. "Someone out there" must(should?) know code by supplier. Yes? A call to a Studebaker parts vendor was of little help -- apparently directions on the quart can are limited. Enamel? Lacquer? Base coat/clear coat? Reducer?

I can't help you on whether that paint code is good. I think your best bet is to go to the SDC forum and ask the question there. I feel sure someone there is far more knowledgable about paint colors and codes. Most of the AOAI guys are there as well plus far more Studebaker enthusiasts whose brains you can pick.

While this forum is Avanti specific, the SDC site covers far more generic subjects that suits all Studes...wheel paint is probably the same across the line from year to year.

Edited by Gunslinger

I would not get obsessive about getting exactly the right shade of off-white. As others have said, Ford truck Wimbledon White is as close as you can get. Why do I say not to get obsessive? Most of the experts say that Studebaker itself was not consistent in the exact shade of off white they used. As for lacquer, enamel, base coat/clear coat, etc.--go with a very hard and durable paint that is chemically "dried."

Thanks to all for a wealth of info.

Seems Ermine White (PPG 8288) is correct for '63 Studebaker/Avanti wheels.

Begs the question, "Why not 'simply' use the correct Studebaker color code (PPG 8288) if buying custom-mixed paint?" If buying off-the-shelf, I understand why one might prefer "Ford Wimbledon White" (PPG 8378), assuming it can be found.

What am I missing?

Maybe you're the first one to come up with the correct paint number for Ermine White? I've only ever seen references to Ford Wimbledon White or the rattle cans sold by Studebaker vendors. Your information certainly is good to know.