Loewy designed Caddy

plwindish

I was watching Barrett-Jackson auction the other night and saw a Cadilac(59??) that Loewy had customized for his wife to drive in Europe. Some of the styling cues were uncanny resemblances to stylling of our beloved Avanti. Rear fender wheel openings being tilted toward the back, some rounding on the rear end below very subdued fins. Very little chrome on the front, grille was removed and the hood had a center raised portion the extended down over the front where grille was supposed to be. The hood extended down and to the front like the Hawk, but with no chrome, just rows of small holes painted over with the car color. The man had some unmistakeable signature styling. One of his grand sons was there helping the bidding.

I also am a "new" owner/caretaker of a 76 Avanti RQB2392. Car is original, lovingly owned and cared for by Paul Quinn from Oct 1984 to 1/7/11. My previous Avanti experience was owning a 1964 round headlight R i Black with red/fawn interior from April 1966 - January 1969. I had a ton of great Avanti memories and always said I would get another. Raising kids and college costs for 7 did delay that resolution until now, 41 years later. I am eagerly awaiting Spring time to break out the Avanti cruising!

Edited by plwindish

Good luck with your new Avanti! Sounds like it's in good hands.

I've seen that Cadillac in photos before...it's a bit bizarre in some respects...maybe the result of trying to remodel an existing body rather than start from a clean sheet of paper. If you look at some of Loewy's styling exercises in the later 1950's that were his own personal creations, there were a few, let's say..."unusual" styling ideas present. The best features of those cars are clearly seen in the Avanti. If it wasn't for those personal designs during the '50s the Avanti may have looked much different. Loewy did believe in conspicuous consumption and it showed.