Help?

Stoic

Can anyone help? I have found a 87 avanti body for sale for a good price. What im hopeing is that I can use the front clip for my 83 so I can get her on the road. I know that the 87 used molded bumpers but can the lower part be added to the 87 to make it like my 83 or is this a waste of time? ps. I also know where two 88-91(I think) 4door bodys are also if anyone is intrested. the bodys are from incomplete cars at the georgia plant before the move to mexico. Thanks!

Edited by Stoic

I can't say for sure but I do know the '87 body is made for the Chevy Monte Carlo frame and the '83 is made for the Studebaker frame. They may be dimensionally different and not be interchangeable. Regardless of how good a deal you can get the body for, the savings may more than be eaten up by the time and effort to adapt the body panels to match.

If you need a front clip you might look into new panels from Studebaker International or Nostalgic. Not inexpensive but they'll work with far less effort. You could also find an Avanti on Ebay that's best a donor car...take what you need and sell off the rest. Maybe even come out ahead on the deal.

The front and rear clips are cut off at the bottom. With the bumper covers off there is nothing there. The parking lights are not mounted in the fenders but in the bumpers. You would need to add a lower valance, modify the face with slots for the bumper braces to pass through, and probably some things that don't come to mind right now.

Let me know if you need pictures of my 88 from underneath.

ErnieR

Here is the link to the bodys if anyone is intrested I talked with the guy on the phone and he seemed very nice. http://atlanta.craig...2054670951.html

I guess Im going to try to find a donor car around my year or just buy the parts from the vendors.

Here is a current photo of the car im trying to fix.

IMG00025-20101011-1332.jpg

Edited by Stoic