Driving light question

cobrajoe74

As per the build sheet for my '82, the only option that was not ordered was driving lights. Since I like the looks of these lights (for me they instantly identify the car as an Avanti II vs the original), Ive been closely studying every RQB pic on Bob Johnstone's website to ID the proper type of lights...came to the conclusion that period correct Hella, Marchal or Cibie lights would look right. I just picked up an NOS pair of unblemished chrome Cibie 35 Iode driving lights on Ebay (with mint lens covers in original boxes <$60 for the pair!!) and mounted them today (with aftermarket Ebay-sourced bumper clamps that are cheaper, better manufactured and easier to install than the OEM type brackets sold by Nostalgic). They look great...exactly what I wanted! My question is: if I poke around in the engine compartment or under the front of the car, might I find 2 unconnected, pre-wired leads for these lights??? My car has the 'Aux Lites' toggle switch on the console and it would seem to me that Avanti Motors would not have manufactured 2 separate wiring harnesses for cars with/without these lights...anyone have a clue???...Thanks in advance...Joe

Since the auxiliary light switch is there, it would seem logical that wiring may be present. Take the console plate up and see what color wires are connected to the switch and follow them to wherever they might lead. They may terminate at the fuse box, but they might also lead into the wiring harness under the hood. Either way, you should be able to connect to them. If the switch is unwired, you at least already have a place to wire to.

While I don't believe Avanti Motors did so, the correct way to wire in driving lights in to connect them into the high beam circuit so they automatically go on and off with the high beam headlights. That should require a relay into the circuit to maintain steady electrical current. Fog lights should be wired to an auxiliary switch for manual control.

Edited by Gunslinger

My 74 came with Lucas driving lights. The wiring for them comes off a little wad of wires under the battery on the LF fender. The "connector", such as it is, is just one of those crimp-on connectors that is sold by the bag full at old car flea markets. So you may not find a pig tail with two empty connectors. My 74 is wired in accordance with standard practice in the 70s: turning on the fog lights also turns on the tail and parking lights. The headlight circuit does not need to be activated. Nowadays, aux lights are normally wired as stated by Gunslinger.

Edited by Skip Lackie

Bruce & Skip..Thanks for your help...I was under the car yesterday & did find a couple of blank leads-haven't followed them to the source yet-they have a rectangle female lead vs the Cibie's pin type male lead (Skip-they are under the left side of the car below the battery)...I'll do some more investigating this weekend, except that this Sunday is another show at 'Cars of Dreams' museum (here in Fla it's finally getting cooler & is the start of our car show season).

Since you found two leads, try using a test light and turn the switch on the console on and off and you'll know whether they're live and for the lights. If they are the auxiliary lights wiring, you'll determine the hot and ground wires for them. If you get nothing, you might try turning on the running lights as well to see if they're wired similar to the way Skip describes.

Using the test light might save a lot of time following wires and removing the console plate when it could be unnecessary.

Edited by Gunslinger

One more thought learned from sad experience. As I said, in the 70s, fog/driving lights were usually on a separate circuit, the only requirement being that they also had to turn on your tail/running lights. Later, the Feds started requiring that "fog" lights could only be activated when the low beam headlights were on, and "driving" lights only when the high beams were on. I'm sure the Feds exempted vehicles built before the effective date of the new regs, but the bozos at my local inspection station can only remember one rule at a time. So they flunked my 78 El Camino because its driving lights were wired in accordance with the 1978-era regs and not the current regs. If your Avanti is subject to safety inspection, just be aware.

Bruce & Skip, again many thanks...I'll try a test light on the leads this week...also, the beauty of auto owning in Fla is no emissions testing nor any safety inspection-surprisingly I see less beaters on the road here than when I lived in NJ (where they had both types of inspection)...Joe