Alternator Rating

MikeValent

What max amp rating alternator came on the 83 Avanti? Probably the same came on all Avanti II's post-1975, so info from one of those would be of use also. My 83 has had a bunch of electrical add-ons and the alternator on it can't quite keep up with the demand.

I've moved the voltmeter + feed to the radio/cruise control fuse which is a switched feed, so it's not the old clock circuit which Avanti Corp used to feed the voltemeter that's slowly draining my battery.

Edited by MikeValent

What max amp rating alternator came on the 63 Avanti? Probably the same came on all Avanti II's post-1975, so info from one of those would be of use also. My 83 has had a bunch of electrical add-ons and the alternator on it can't quite keep up with the demand.

I've moved the voltmeter + feed to the radio/cruise control fuse which is a switched feed, so it's not the old clock circuit which Avanti Corp used to feed the voltemeter that's slowly draining my battery.

YY

Your question referred to a 63 Avanti. As I recall, the original Avantis were equipped with 40 amp alternators. But then you refer to an 83 Avanti. By 83, Avantis were equipped with Delcos that probably put out around 100 amps. I don't have specific data for 83.

Depending on which model Delco alternator it could be rated as high as 94 amps...maybe less. It's tough to know for sure without the exact model number. If you can read the model number off the alternator case you can look the amperage rating up online.

Often times Avanti Motors' GM parts and accessories were maybe a year behind when GM introduced the same parts in their assembly lines. Avanti would buy parts ahead such as engines and accessories to get bulk price discounts and store the parts until used. That would often mean last year's GM components were used in this year's production. That could well be the same with alternators.

Look at a Summit Racing catalog and you have a big selection of replacement alternators...direct bolt-in as well as one wire alternators. If you go more than maybe 100-105 amps you may need a heavier wire in the harness to handle the extra amperage. In that case, I would suggest a one wire alternator and use a heavier gauge wire direct to the battery to avoid wiring harness issues.

YY

Your question referred to a 63 Avanti. As I recall, the original Avantis were equipped with 40 amp alternators. But then you refer to an 83 Avanti. By 83, Avantis were equipped with Delcos that probably put out around 100 amps. I don't have specific data for 83.

Thanks, it is an 83. This weekend I may have to pull the supercharger off to replace the PO's garbage headers with 68 Corvette manifolds, so I'll look for a number then. (the alternator's mounted under the blower so I can't see squat of it now) I checked 82 and 83 Monte Carlos to see what they used on the 305's: 63 amp without a/c, 85 amp with. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything as Avanti then was buying what amounts to crate engines from GM.