Avanti specifications

jtinker

I'm interested in purchasing an Avanti. Are there any sources of info out there that would relate to the year by year evolution of engines (cu. in., HP), rear axle ratios, general changes or mods. to the vehicle over the years, etc.? I purchased John Hall's "Avanti, The Complete Story" but was disappointed to find only one table relating to yearly serial numbers and only general info relating to the "eras ownerships". Thanks-John

I don't think there's any one source for all the information you want. There are some compilations of various statistics, but even they can be of some inaccuracies, due to the nature of Studebaker and Avanti Motors. Avanti Motors, due to their being a small company building cars for individual order, did many things not standard or on a standard option list. Even then, Avanti Motors changed their way of building cars as market events changed, government regulations, etc. Not all were recorded in a sequential manner. Some of the stats we have were compiled by individuals going over build records or by reports from individual owners.

One of the best sources for Avanti history is the AOAI publication "Avanti Magazine". I would suggest obtaining the entire series on CD and going through it...you'll learn a lot from that. Also feel free to ask here...many here are quite well versed in the history of the Avanti. Let us know exactly what things you feel are most important to what you want out of an Avanti. Various years have their own strong points as far as optional equipment availability, ease of service, parts availability, performance, market value, etc. Of course, much is subjective as some options and changes mean more to some than others. I have my own prejudices, likes and dislikes of some model years...just like everyone.

On the positive side, post-Studebaker Avanti's offer probably more customizing and personalization potential than most cars on the market...without the loss of value as many cars suffer if the changes are well done and tasteful. On the negative side, Avanti's don't have the resale value in the collector's market as many cars do. The Avanti is pretty much a niche car that the market pretty much neglects. That doesn't bother me as I love the car for its own sake, not because I want to flip it for a profit like many do with collector's cars.

There are certain things to be aware of when looking at an Avanti for potential purchase...some items are no big deal, but some are definite deal breakers. The big ones are the frame and hog troughs (torque boxes). If they have issues, they can be repaired, but be prepared for big dollars expended to correct them...or keep looking for another car.

Welcome to the world of the Avanti...one of the most fabulous and interesting cars ever designed. And again...feel free to ask questions. Your car is out there just waiting for you to find it.

I don't think there's any one source for all the information you want. There are some compilations of various statistics, but even they can be of some inaccuracies, due to the nature of Studebaker and Avanti Motors. Avanti Motors, due to their being a small company building cars for individual order, did many things not standard or on a standard option list. Even then, Avanti Motors changed their way of building cars as market events changed, government regulations, etc. Not all were recorded in a sequential manner. Some of the stats we have were compiled by individuals going over build records or by reports from individual owners.

One of the best sources for Avanti history is the AOAI publication "Avanti Magazine". I would suggest obtaining the entire series on CD and going through it...you'll learn a lot from that. Also feel free to ask here...many here are quite well versed in the history of the Avanti. Let us know exactly what things you feel are most important to what you want out of an Avanti. Various years have their own strong points as far as optional equipment availability, ease of service, parts availability, performance, market value, etc. Of course, much is subjective as some options and changes mean more to some than others. I have my own prejudices, likes and dislikes of some model years...just like everyone.

On the positive side, post-Studebaker Avanti's offer probably more customizing and personalization potential than most cars on the market...without the loss of value as many cars suffer if the changes are well done and tasteful. On the negative side, Avanti's don't have the resale value in the collector's market as many cars do. The Avanti is pretty much a niche car that the market pretty much neglects. That doesn't bother me as I love the car for its own sake, not because I want to flip it for a profit like many do with collector's cars.

There are certain things to be aware of when looking at an Avanti for potential purchase...some items are no big deal, but some are definite deal breakers. The big ones are the frame and hog troughs (torque boxes). If they have issues, they can be repaired, but be prepared for big dollars expended to correct them...or keep looking for another car.

Welcome to the world of the Avanti...one of the most fabulous and interesting cars ever designed. And again...feel free to ask questions. Your car is out there just waiting for you to find it.

Hi Gunslinger,

Thanks for the info. One thing in particular I'd like to know is, when did Avanti II stop putting high performance (300HP + or -) engines in? If it's OK I'd like to email or call you directly to chat. I live just north of Gettysburg, PA. Thanks again-John

You have to be a bit careful in describing "high performance" engines, as about 1971 or '72 the government mandated engines be rated at net horsepower rather than gross, so what was a 300 gross horsepower engine suddenly became about a 270 net horsepower engine, though it was essentially the same engine. Once the change to unleaded gas was made, compression ratios were lowered and performance did suffer by comparison.

I would say that 1971 was probably the year that the performance dropped in rated power with Avanti's, but I'm not positive. My own belief is Avanti Motors bought engines from GM in some kind of volume to gain a bigger discount, so a 1971 or '72 Avanti may have a previous year engine with that year's specs, regardless of what their literature advertised...my suspicion only, no documentation on my part to confirm that.

Basically, Avanti Motors installed the 327 Corvette engine rated at 300 horsepower through 1969, and in 1970 changed to the Corvette 350 rated at 300 horsepower. That's one reason why I suspect engines were purchased well in advance of production as the GM 350/300 was introduced in the Corvette in 1969, so Avanti must have had enough 327's in inventory to last until the 1970 model year. My '70 Avanti came equipped with an external voltage regulator when GM went to the internal regulated alternators in 1969. Again, either Avanti Motors bought the parts well in advance or simply got a better price on the previous system parts from GM. I've seen where some claim that on special order Avanti Motors would install a higher performance 350 such as the 350 horse version or even an LT-1, but I've never known of anyone producing documentation to back that up. I guess that's certainly plausible, but just because an Avanti might have LT-1 valve covers doesn't make it an LT-1.

It was sometime in the early '70s Avanti Motors started installing 400 cubic inch non-Corvette engines of maybe 185 or so net horsepower. For awhile they went back to the 350 and then the 305. Once they went to the heavily smog controlled engines performance really suffered, but so did all other cars at that time. That was not confined to Avanti.

If you're talking performance as built, then the 1965-1970 Avanti's are where it's at...no, or few smog controls, high compression, the cars were mechanically simpler with fewer options available. After that, government regulations took hold...lower compression, impact absorbing bumper standards to meet, more and more luxury items available, etc. To be honest, after this many years, you can build an Avanti to be far better performing than original as it would be emissions exempt in most states by now, so model year could mean little since you can just drop in a high performing crate engine now.

I don't live far from you at all...I'm south of Gettysburg just outside of Frederick. We should talk or get together.

Just a few items to add to Gunslinger's excellent info. I believe the 400 was installed in 72-76 models. I got a tour of the Avanti plant in 1977 or 78, and was told by their PR person at the time that they would build a car to order with a special-order high performance Corvette engine instead of their standard engine. She claimed that they had built a couple of such cars, but I agree with Gunslinger that I have never seen one that could be verified as such. They had 20 or 30 complete Chevy engine/transmission sets sitting there on pallets, so I can confirm that they bought their power plants (and many other components) in quantity and then stockpiled them.

The 300-hp 327s and 350s used through the 1970 models were designed to run on leaded premium. Compression ratios were reduced in 1971, which knocked the 350 down to 270 gross horsepower. The change to net horsepower occurred in 1972. Requirements for emissions equipment continued to increase all through the 70s. Catalytic converters became required on 1975 modles. All that being said, in most states, vehicles with antique/historic plates are exempt from emissions inspection, so there's really no penalty for removing things like EGR valves and other stuff.

All GM engines carry serial numbers that indicate year, displacement, horsepower, original vehicle line (what GM vehicle it was originally intended to be installed in), and other info. GM apparently just pulled random engines from their production line to sell to Avanti. Although numbers-matching cars are less imprortant in Avanti-dom, it can sometimes be handy to know what is actually installed in an Avanti. Of course, the number won't tell you if the heads, manifolds, cam, etc have been changed by an owner.

Four-speed transmissions were installed in a high proportion of the early Avanti IIs, but that percentage declined with time. Four-speeds were dropped for the 1975 models, as Avanti Motors did not yet have a waiver from the emissions and gas mileage regulations, and did not want to build extra cars for the EPA to test. They eventually got such a waiver and were allowed to piggyback on Chevy's EPA approvals. As a result, Steve Blake brought back both the 4-speed and high-performance engines in a few cars in the early 80s.

As it turns out, I live near both of you.

Just a few items to add to Gunslinger's excellent info. I believe the 400 was installed in 72-76 models. I got a tour of the Avanti plant in 1977 or 78, and was told by their PR person at the time that they would build a car to order with a special-order high performance Corvette engine instead of their standard engine. She claimed that they had built a couple of such cars, but I agree with Gunslinger that I have never seen one that could be verified as such. They had 20 or 30 complete Chevy engine/transmission sets sitting there on pallets, so I can confirm that they bought their power plants (and many other components) in quantity and then stockpiled them.

The 300-hp 327s and 350s used through the 1970 models were designed to run on leaded premium. Compression ratios were reduced in 1971, which knocked the 350 down to 270 gross horsepower. The change to net horsepower occurred in 1972. Requirements for emissions equipment continued to increase all through the 70s. Catalytic converters became required on 1975 modles. All that being said, in most states, vehicles with antique/historic plates are exempt from emissions inspection, so there's really no penalty for removing things like EGR valves and other stuff.

All GM engines carry serial numbers that indicate year, displacement, horsepower, original vehicle line (what GM vehicle it was originally intended to be installed in), and other info. GM apparently just pulled random engines from their production line to sell to Avanti. Although numbers-matching cars are less imprortant in Avanti-dom, it can sometimes be handy to know what is actually installed in an Avanti. Of course, the number won't tell you if the heads, manifolds, cam, etc have been changed by an owner.

Four-speed transmissions were installed in a high proportion of the early Avanti IIs, but that percentage declined with time. Four-speeds were dropped for the 1975 models, as Avanti Motors did not yet have a waiver from the emissions and gas mileage regulations, and did not want to build extra cars for the EPA to test. They eventually got such a waiver and were allowed to piggyback on Chevy's EPA approvals. As a result, Steve Blake brought back both the 4-speed and high-performance engines in a few cars in the early 80s.

As it turns out, I live near both of you.

Thanks for the info. I haven't found mine yet, but thanks to you and others, I'm approaching this better educated. John