1971 Steering Column

GAWen

My 1971 had a severe electrical fire several months ago. I discovered today that all, and I do mean all the wires in the steering column are gone, as in vanished. So, I am now considering installing a aftermarket column. So, where do I start? George RQB 1600

I guess one thing I would do is try to determine who made your old column. I don't know about 71 models, but I believe a lot of Avantis of that period used GM or AMC columns. Conclusively identifying the manufacturer would allow you to search for an identical unit if that's what you wanted to do. If you can't find any identifying marks or recognize GM-style connectors, a walk through a junk yard that still has cars of that vintage might he helpful.

And of course, hot rod suppliers provide a variety of services and parts that can be used to adapt almost any modern column to an older car.

Check with a speed shop or suppliers like Summit Racing, Jeg's or Speedway Motors...they all list steering columns from makers like Flaming RIver, Ididit and others that service the hot rod market. You get steering columns of specific lengths, with or without ignition switches, chromed or paintable and with/without tilt.

I'm considering one with tilt for my '70 as a future project. The original non-tilt Studebaker steering column is at such a wrong angle to be comfortable, though I'm living with it OK.

I forgot to mention that the steering column is a GM unit, without flasher button. The info I have from the unit is Delco-Remy DR-2-63. I have not been able to cross this to anything in the GM family. I susspect that it is a 1966 Chevelle or Malibu unit.

If it has the ignition switch on the side of the column, it won't be from the mid-'60s. GM was still using ignition switches on the dash through '68 and changed to column mounted switches in '69. If your switch is on the dash, then you may be correct it might be from a Chevrolet.

If it has the ignition switch on the side of the column, it won't be from the mid-'60s. GM was still using ignition switches on the dash through '68 and changed to column mounted switches in '69. If your switch is on the dash, then you may be correct it might be from a Chevrolet.

My bust again. Forgot to add that my 1971 has the ignition in the dash, same, same 63-64 Avanti's. Also, the ignition switch carries a MOPAR part number. The 4-way flasher is a underdash addon unit, at least I think so. It looks like something you would buy from J.C. Whitney. The wiring on this car is such a complete and total FUBAR. Previous owners have added numerous items that were never intended to be included on the factory option list.

Forgot to add that my 1971 has the ignition in the dash, same, same 63-64 Avanti's.

Interesting... my '71 is RQB1620 and it has the later column with the ignition switch in the column.

SInce your ignition switch is dash mounted, regardless of its origin (Mopar, GM or Studebaker), it's really immaterial to your steering column (unless its wires were ruined as well in your electrical column). It seems your car was assembled just before Avanti Motors made the changeover to the impact absorbing steering wheel with the ignition switch and lock built-in. It sounds like your car has the same emergency flasher switch as my '70 does...the aftermarket switch mounted under the dash.

If you don't want to try the aftermarket route, give Nostalgic Motors a call...they have some new old stock steering columns they've been putting on Ebay off and on lately. While it may not have the tilt feature, you know it will be a drop in installation. If you want tilt, then the aftermarket is likely the only place to go without locating an original Stude unit that will likely set you back far more financially.

You've also experienced a major headache with older cars in general...not just Avanti's...undoing what past owners have done or repairs and modifications that were less than professional in how they were done.