Fuel tank access

RQB3504

Can anyone tell me how to access the gas tank on my 82. I am getting a strong oder of gas in the car and suspect the rubber hoses need replaced. Also how do you get the rear seat out? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

The bottom cushion to the rear seat just pops out. Lift it up and pull it out. The seat back has two bolts to remove...they're obvious when the seat bottom is out. There are also two tabs holding the seat back in place...once the two bolts are out, push the seat back up and it should pop right out of the tab slots.

Once the seat is out, you'll see a panel held in by maybe twenty screws...use a screwdriver or screwgun and remove them all. The panel should just pull out and you have access to the gas tank.

A hint...place some padding on the floor...it's hard on your knees, but it's not a difficult thing at all to get to the gas tank.

The bottom cushion to the rear seat just pops out. Lift it up and pull it out. The seat back has two bolts to remove...they're obvious when the seat bottom is out. There are also two tabs holding the seat back in place...once the two bolts are out, push the seat back up and it should pop right out of the tab slots.

Once the seat is out, you'll see a panel held in by maybe twenty screws...use a screwdriver or screwgun and remove them all. The panel should just pull out and you have access to the gas tank.

A hint...place some padding on the floor...it's hard on your knees, but it's not a difficult thing at all to get to the gas tank.

Thanks Gunslinger! I've had my Avanti for 3 weeks. I have always wanted one, so let the fun begin!

It would be a big help for you to get copies of the shop manual and parts manual. Reprints are available from Studebaker International. They're for the Studebaker Avanti, not later models, but a great deal of the information is still relevant and very, very helpful.

After removing the two screws that hold the seat back, slide it down, not up, to unhook it.

In addition to the numerous screws, the fiberglass panel has a bead of caulking that keeps it pretty well stuck in place. Starting at the bottom, pull the panel out to separate the caulking.