Avanti II Water Pump

RQ-B1899

There's three water pumps...short, long and Corvette. The Corvette pump is short...likely with a heavy duty bearing, but not positive of that. All I can tell you for sure when the original 350/300hp engine came out of my '70, it had a short water pump...probably the Corvette pump since it's a Vette engine but I can't say for sure. Essentially, you should need a short water pump. If you can get a heavy duty version, so much the better.

I recently replaced the water pump on my '78 w/350 small block engine. This application took a "long snout" pump. I got a WP520, ASC# 5421748 from Advance Autoparts. I would think that the '72 would be the same.

This information may be helpful, or confusing. (BTW my 71 has a long pump.)

The big change in 1969 was the move to the long water pump. This required a complete change in accessory drive pulleys, brackets, and even the positioning of the accessories. The biggest change that accompanied long water pumps was moving the alternator to the passenger side of the engine. This placed the alternator closer to the battery, but also required moving the A/C compressor to the driver side. The power-steering pump remained on the left side. Accessory bolt holes also appeared in the front of both cylinder heads.

While this sounds simple, there are several different factory alternator and power-steering mounts depending upon the vehicle and year application. This long water-pump V-belt setup ran from 1969 to well into the mid-Â’80s, with various water-pump mount layouts, different power-steering pumps, and alternator changes as well. This makes this group

The short water-pump GM reference height from the block mounting flange to the pulley mounting flange is 5-5/8 inches. The long water-pump reference height is 7 inches. To make this even more confusing, Chevy also used late-model serpentine-belt short water pumps, but these use a 5-13/16-inch (5.8125-inch) reference height for Â’84-Â’92 Corvettes.

Corvette applications were slightly different for several reasons. Corvette kept the short water pumps but used a larger ¾-inch pilot shaft (standard is 5/8 inch), which is the diameter of the small snout that locates the water-pump pulley. Most V-belt Corvette drives mounted the alternator on the driver side except for the first three years of alternator use. Brackets and pulleys can be interchanged from the Corvette, but we’ll focus mostly on passenger cars since these parts are easier to find.

George

RQB 1600