Pulling the oil pan on a 67 Avanti II with a 327

hrhchazman

Anybody ever tried it? And succeeded? The Avanti service manual says you can do it. HA! So here I am, pretty much screwed, with my oil pan hanging down, resting on the bellcrank. If you've ever attempted this, no further explanation is necessary. Looks like my only hope is MAYBE to remove the two front engine mount bolts (from the engine) and somehow jack up the front of the engine (without smashing the HEI distributor against the firewall) enough to shimmy the oil pan out. Anybody got any thoughts? I've got this really nice one piece rubber gasket just waiting to jump right in there and cure my "oil pan drip blues" forever.

I'm going to suggest that the key to removing the pan is the same as with the Studebaker motor: Remove the bellcrank.

There is a pinch bolt that holds the bellcrank to the shaft. Remove it. Then remove the grease fitting from the back of the pivot (through the hole in the frame). Remove the four bolts that hold the pivot assembly to the frame, and lower it. The bellcrank and tie rods can then be moved sufficiently to remove the oil pan.

I'm going to suggest that the key to removing the pan is the same as with the Studebaker motor: Remove the bellcrank.

There is a pinch bolt that holds the bellcrank to the shaft. Remove it. Then remove the grease fitting from the back of the pivot (through the hole in the frame). Remove the four bolts that hold the pivot assembly to the frame, and lower it. The bellcrank and tie rods can then be moved sufficiently to remove the oil pan.

Done all that, still can't get the bellcrank out of the way enough to drop the pan. I'm wondering if I should remove the tie rods from the bellcrank and try turning the steering wheel, or get the front wheels up off the ramps and try turning the steering wheel to see if the bellcrank will move out of the way. This is turning into a real nightmare.

If you're only removing the oil pan to replace the gasket, you might be able to do it without completely removing the pan. If the oil pan is dropped down all the way around, you might be able to snake the new gasket into place. Try attaching a thin wire or a piece of string to one end of the gasket and then try to pull it into position. It's hard to do because you have to get the gasket around and underneath the oil pick-up screen. I've never done this on an Avanti but I have done it on other vehicles where I couldn't get the oil pan out.

If you're only removing the oil pan to replace the gasket, you might be able to do it without completely removing the pan. If the oil pan is dropped down all the way around, you might be able to snake the new gasket into place. Try attaching a thin wire or a piece of string to one end of the gasket and then try to pull it into position. It's hard to do because you have to get the gasket around and underneath the oil pick-up screen. I've never done this on an Avanti but I have done it on other vehicles where I couldn't get the oil pan out.

UPDATE: THE PAN IS OUT!!!