Tach repair,Lower A frame

billsr2

While I have my dash apart, I woul like to get my SW Tach cleaned, lubed & tested. Any recommendations?

I also need to replace the Left Lower control arm & need a very clean,rust free one.

Anyone?

I don't have a copy handy, but I believe there's an ad in back Avanti magazines from someone who rebuilds gauges. Jon Myers sells tach sending units. Look in Hemmings Motor News as well for vendors that restore gauges.

For the lower control arm, it should be a standard Studebaker piece so any vendor selling them should have one...Studebaker International, John Myers, Fairborn, SASCO, etc.

That control arm is a pretty beefy unit,what happened to it? They may be the same as the Larks so someone like SASCO may have them NOS. Even the used ones are usually in pretty good shape because of the Studebaker external oiling/rust prevention system...leaking engine oil.

ErnieR

My control arm is pretty beaten up from a loose grease cup-bushing thingy. not only is the pin bushing shot but it took the arm with it.

I bet this design goes back to '53. I wonder how secure these bushings are,especially with modern tire loads? I'm not too impressed

with the shallow treads that hold them into the control arm. Guess I need to call around to find one, I still have not addressed the Tach.

Dave

I bet this design goes back to '53. I wonder how secure these bushings are, especially with modern tire loads?

Dave

You have a point about the tire loads. Tires today have far more adhesion than the tires available when this 50+ year old suspension and chassis was first designed. Since the tires today grip better it shows off the deficiencies of the design...particularly if there's any wear at all in the bushings, steering box, tie rods, etc. The use of modern tires (wider tread and greater adhesion) with any kind of spirited driving may well increase the wear rate of the parts.

The suspension was designed with tires of the day in mind. It wasn't expected to last forever or there wouldn't be any need for new cars and new designs.

My guess it wasn't lubed for a long time and the trunnion siezed inside the cap causing the cap to move in the arm boring out the hole enough to let it bang around in there. I can't argue with modern tires stressing the older suspensions differently but I think the Stude stuff is up to the task.

ErnieR