Heater Switch

J Boyle

My Avanti heater blower only works on high.

The switch may be dirty (I wonder why, the car's only 45 years old!). or I might need a switch.

Any guesses which it might be?

If it needs replacing, where can I get a switch?

Two firms sell part 1561930...a part common to the headlights, instruments lights and heater...but my parts book says it's only good for cars 4879 and later. My car is 2788. Will it work?

The parts book says 1557419 is correct.

Help!

Edited by J Boyle

I would try removing the switches and try cleaning the contacts first...also check the wiring connections on the heater motor as well.

If you need a new switch I believe you can get those rocker switches from Jon Myers of Myers Studebaker and Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors as well as Studebaker International. They're something like about $50 a pair since they're dual switches. I believe the only difference between the parts is the earlier parts are more cream in color and the later switches are more white. Other than that, I think they're fully interchangeable.

Edited by Gunslinger

A temporary fix would be, since all 3 pairs are the same, to switch the switches (?) around with one which isn't used much, like the interior light switch possibly.

Since those wires are kind of tight fitting up there, if $ possible, you should order the 3 pairs and change them all at once.

Paul

• 1 month later...
My Avanti heater blower only works on high.

The switch may be dirty (I wonder why, the car's only 45 years old!). or I might need a switch.

Any guesses which it might be?

If it needs replacing, where can I get a switch?

Two firms sell part 1561930...a part common to the headlights, instruments lights and heater...but my parts book says it's only good for cars 4879 and later. My car is 2788. Will it work?

The parts book says 1557419 is correct.

Help!