Jump to content


AOAI Forum Members
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by warren55

  1. I just replaced the driver's side mirror on my 73, and as other's have confirmed it is an AMC mirror. I bought a new one from SI at the International Meet here in Tacoma last summer for about $180 as I recall. You might give them a call since they had a couple sitting there although I'm sure they aren't listed in the catalog. I can get the part # for you, but I think you will find there are a lot of variants of that part #. I can confirm that the one from SI is a perfect replacement!

  2. When I first got a title here in Washington, I went through the whole process with the clerk and paid the cost of the new title and registration. It wasn't until I got home I realized that she had registered it as a 1973 Alfa Romeo. Needless to say, I had to make a trip back to the County Auditors office.

  3. Al, Lou, myself and others have been planning this meet for a long time, but let's not forget the other people who made it work,  like:

    Richard Morris who helped in the hospitality room quite a bit and also shuttled some folks from New Zealand to the LeMay Family Collection.

    My other half Missi, who spent the majority of the time in the hospitality room making coffee and keeping the snacks and pop replenished.

    Dick LeRoux who also helped in the hospitality room.

    Carl Doughty who relieved us so we could go see the seminars on the #1 Avanti and see it in person.

    And John Hull. What can you say about John other than he will insult you at every opportunity and somehow make it feel like a compliment. ?

  4. Being easier to upload photos would be a giant step forward! Getting a little more discussion going on the forums would be good too, is there an update available for the forum members?:wacko:

  5. I've seen that video and I agree that it needs to setup before you attempt to attach the gasket. It is basically thick, black contact cement. I have found that regular contact cement works just as well but not nearly as messy. You apply a good coat to both areas to be glued, let it dry for a few minutes until it's almost dry to the touch and then attach it. You only get one chance to get it right, so put it where you want it the first time. Adding a wet coat just before attachment might buy you a little wiggle room.

    Some masking tape on the corners might help to keep it where you want it.

    The split side goes towards the inside. Make the joint in the middle by the latch. You might have to adjust the striker up to get it closed the first time, but then slowly tighten the latch over the next few days until you need to slam the trunk firmly to get it to latch. Then open your pass through and check for light leaks with the trunk closed.

  6. I had the exact same problem, and after a lot of research I changed out my starter for a newer style permanent magnet OEM starter. It's about 1/3 the size and weighs about 8lbs and has never failed to start my car since the change out about 2 years ago. An easy upgrade!

  7. For you out there too young to remember 1979...

    I bought a new Mustang with the optional 2.8 V-8. It was a Ghia hatchback with every option expect for sunroof...so it had the Ghia interior, leather seats, AM-FM, tilt wheel, cruise, PS,PB, AT, etc.

    I paid $7500 for it.

    So you bought one of those too? I bought a used 77 fastback with the 2.8 V6 and a 4 speed for about $4000 in 78. Biggest POS I ever bought. It was burning oil at 38000 miles. It was just a poor excuse for a Mustang.

  8. As for the larger reservoir size, disc brakes require more pressure and fluid than drum brakes. When it comes to proportioning, drum brakes will lock up at at lower pressure than disc brakes, so at max braking without a proportioning valve your rear brakes would lock up first. Not good, if you've ever been there.

    Here's a good article that can explain it better than I can:http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/proportioning-valves

  9. I've replaced two of them using a very stout zip tie to extend the length of the spring. It gives you something to get a hold of, and then you can easily cut the zip tie when you're done. A screwdriver works as a lever to get it on the other ear. I'll try to attach a link to some pictures. The washer idea is a good one too, though!


  • Create New...