1983 Avanti braking problem

A83

About 3 times now I went to apply the brakes and the pedal would push down with no braking and then go into a skid. I noticed the brake fluid a little low on one side and a tiny drop of fluid outside the cylinder. Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thank you.

Kevin

Did the pedal feel squishy when pushed, or normal. Could be a rubber brake line which is collapsing on the inside, or the vacuum booster valve not functioning correctly.

Felt and acted like there were no breaks and then it caught and skidded. Now that you mention it the brakes are kind of squishy as opposed to normal but when the incidents happened it was if there was no resistance at all.

Lower brake fluid level and "a drop outside" would lead me to check where the leak is in the system. IIRC front reservoir = rear brakes and the rear is front.

If leaking at the M/C it's time to replace it. Wheel cylinder would depend on front or rear for rebuild or replacement. While you are at it, replace the flex hoses if they are original.

Get it up in the air high enough to check all cylinders and connections while you are at it. The system is 33 YO if it hasn't been rebuilt it's time for a good going over.

Edited by Avanti83