Radio choices

CommanderToasty

I installed an Alpine AM/FM/CD stereo in my '70. You need to use your original bezel as a template to cut something like some acrylic, plastic or some firm item to fit the dash opening. Then carefully cut the opening for the radio face. You can brace the stereo to the inside of the dash to make sure it stays secure. You can then wire it in as you see fit.

Others have mounted new radios in the glove box or in the vertical part of the console if the car doesn't have a/c. That way you can leave the original radio in place...it is a pain to remove and replace. My car had a non-working aftermarket stereo when I purchased it so I needed to come up with something.

For speakers...I'd disconnect the dash speaker and the rear speaker (if your car has one) and install good quality speakers in the doors and/or the rear deck. The factory style speakers aren't very good and not for a stereo. You can put 6 1/2" speakers in the doors...just measure to make sure you don't interfere with the window mechanism. That's what I have in my car and am planning to install 5 1/4" speakers in the rear deck...probably in the Spring.

Just a bit of information...there is a modern unit you can buy that is more or less a bolt-in to replace your current radio...it's made by Custom Auto Sound. It has a cassette player built in and connections for an MP3 player or iPod and a remote CD player. That's a good way to go...but...I've heard very little good about the quality of these and the sound they put out. I've no personal experience with them but have heard lots of complaints about them.

What modern radios are you using in place of the original? Have you cut things to accept a DIN or found a classic reproduction?

Here is another option to get quality music in your car with small effort and cheaply. Leave the existing radio as is, use for AM/FM. install a parallel system consisting of a mini-amp and a couple speakers to connect to your iPOD or iPHONE, etc.

You can buy a couple of BOSE 5-1/4 speakers for $20 and a mini-amp http://www.mhinstrum...ts/mini_amp.htm $50. The mini-amp is palm size and the speakers can be installed in kick panels, doors, under seats, etc. just connect power wire to ignition and have jack to plug into MP3 device. Sound is great and no (or little) fabrication.

I have in two of my Corvettes and will install in Avanti

Edited by Devildog

For my 63 Avanti resto-mod project I am leaving the factory AM radio in the dash but installing a Custom Audio "Secret Audio SST" unit that can be hidden under a seat, in the trunk or glove box. I has a small flip down LED screen that can be mounted under dash on lip and uses an RF remote than doesn't require a line of sight (like an IR unit) to control the receiver. It accepts a USB data stick or iPod for digital music. I'm installing Polk Audio 6-1/2" speakers in the kick panels and 6 x 9 oval speakers in the rear deck.

Here's web link to the Secret Audio SST unit ... My link

I believe Mercedes of the period (early 60s) used Becker radios. I've always wondered if one of their AM/FMs would fit.

My story would be that the dealer swapped a 63 Studebaker AM for a Mercedes AM/FM at the customers request.

Considering the Mercedes-Studebaker connection of the time, it could have happened.

For my 63 Avanti resto-mod project I am leaving the factory AM radio in the dash but installing a Custom Audio "Secret Audio SST" unit that can be hidden under a seat, in the trunk or glove box. I has a small flip down LED screen that can be mounted under dash on lip and uses an RF remote than doesn't require a line of sight (like an IR unit) to control the receiver. It accepts a USB data stick or iPod for digital music. I'm installing Polk Audio 6-1/2" speakers in the kick panels and 6 x 9 oval speakers in the rear deck.

Here's web link to the Secret Audio SST unit ... My link

I used the Custom Audio USA630 in my 84. Fit without any dash modifications. Plays very loud with no distortion, and the tuner is strong. Also has jacks for USB thumb drive and MP3 player.

Edited by sat65

Another option if you don’t want to go high-end. “Universal” aftermarket AM/FM/cassette radios were commonly available in the 70s to replace the AM-only units still in use in a lot of cars. Many of these had adjustable control shafts so they could be installed in a lot of different cars. They also had a fairly small nose piece, but came with a mask that would cover any gap between the nose piece and the original cover plate. These radios come up NORS on ebay all the time, and are relatively inexpensive, since they don’t include all the modern bells and whistles. That said, some are not described well enough to be sure that you are getting a radio that will fit the Stude dash. The key issue is adjustable shafts. I have a Sanyo in my 74 Avanti II, and it fits perfectly and works well. I would describe it as a medium-quality radio. Kenwood also made some better ones that also fit the Stude dashboard perfectly.