77 Avanti speedometer/odometer issue

Steve_avanti

Hi All,

I disconnected my speedometer cable so I could remove the gauge cluster to replace burnt out bulbs....what a PITA!!! Not a whole lot of room to manuever but I got all of them.  Anyway upon reinstalling cable the speedometer/odometer both aren't functioning.  Its not the gauge as I can manually spin it & both work.  I disconnected & reconnected several times...nothing.  Car does have cruise control & it worked prior to all of this.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!

Steve

My only thought is that its not rocket science, the cable is apparently not fully seated/inserted at both ends (almost has to be the speedo end), or it is broken somewhere in between (unlikely since it worked before the cable was disconnected). It might be easiest to ask a shop to fit the cable from beneath, with the car on a lift, that is, remove the speedo cable at the tranny, push & turn the cable at that end until it seats into the speedometer, then re-insert/reconnect it at the transmission end.

I think that the cable that goes from the speedometer to the cruise control is not fully seated in the cruise control.  (I believe that it has the type of cruise control with cables in and out.)

6 minutes ago, Steve_avanti said:

Thanks for the replies...I'll fiddle with the end of the cable that enters the cruise control.  I checked the end entering the gauge and that appears seated properly. Thanks again!

Steve

If your cruise control still works, then the problem is between the cruise control and the speedometer and not down lower, like at the transmission or the cable that goes to it.