Buying an Avanti.

Cobra Pilot

Good day, I'm interested in a '81 Avanti with about 100,000 miles on her. I haven't seen it in person since the car is about 1200 miles away, but the pictures look good. What are the problem areas I should be looking for? I understand the "hog troughs" are a problem area and how would I check to see if they are ok? I also read in the owners ad, that the A/C is inop. Would this be a GM unit and would I be able to get it serviced by a A/C shop? Is the chassis and related parts also GM and how hard is it to locate replacement items? Is the '81 a good year or should I find another year to toy with?

I'm looking for a good driver and this year seems "user friendly", I enjoy doing mechanical work with a engine & electrical system that I can understand. I have always driven special auto's, my daily is a '78 El Camino and my other toy is a '67 EM 427 Cobra. I really like the fiberglass body, I'm tired of seeing rust return afew years down the road and that's why I built the Cobra. I feel the Avanti would be a great choice, it's a four seater so the whole family can ride and if I can get the A/C repaired (gets very hot in FL) would make a great driver.

I'm going to call on her Monday, can you add any questions I should ask and any special considerations I should take. If it sounds good, my wife & I may fly up and drive the Avanti home. I will let you know!

I have enjoyed viewing your site and hope to use it more in the future.

Thanx, Everett

Welcome! Lots of good people here to answer questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

An '81 is still a Studebaker framed Avanti...about the only things GM are the engine and transmission. Maybe a few other parts but they're the major ones, so no servicing or parts issues in that respect. Getting parts for the suspension, frame and other service items are pretty available through a number of specialty suppliers. It's the trim stuff that can be hard to find if needed...some is amazingly easy to find and some is near impossible...that's why so many of us regularly watch for such items on Ebay.

There's no issues I'm aware of on an '81 to be aware of. About the only potentially negative has less to do with it being an '81 Avanti than it being an '81 anything. The mid-1970's into the 1980's were pretty much all about emissions control and less on performance. Most any car from that era suffers from less than sterling performance, but the Avanti does fare well compared to its contemporaries. Since it's over 25 years old and depending on your state's regulartions, you may be able to remove the emissions equipment or disable it if it's causing problems. An '81 is a 305 cubic inch engine...many replace it with a 350 crate engine.

As far as the a/c unit goes, I can't answer that without seeing a photo of under the hood. For many years Avanti used a York compressor and eventually went to the GM A6 axial compressor, but I don't know when that occurred. The York compressors were used in many vehicles...Ford used them for years and many aftermarket a/c units used them as well, so a replacement if necessary can be found. The problem may not be the compressor but could be a bad condenser under the front end, but whatever the problem is, I'm sure a qualified a/c shop can diagnose it. Parts are available as well as universal stuff sold through custom shops, though some bracket fabrication might be required.

The frame and hog troughs are very important to look out as repair can be prohibitive...maybe even to the point of making an otherwise nice car little more than a parts car. You need to get the car up on a lift and have someone inspect it. The hog troughs are essentially what bonds the body to the frame, and also anchors the roll bar. The hog troughs are likely covered in undercoating, so anyone inspecting them would have to rap on them with their knuckles or with some tools to test their strength. Hog trough and frame rust can be repaired, but as I said, it can get very, very expensive. Where is the car located? Maybe it's near enough to a member here who can go take a look at it for you.

One nice thing about an Avanti II...since all were special order cars and no two were built alike, you can customize it pretty much as you like if some parts are unavailable, and as long as it's done well, you really won't hurt the car's value. You can easily make it your own that way.

Thanks for the information Gunslinger. The Avanti is in Crystal Lake, Illinois and thats a haul from where I live. As I understand the '84 - '91 use GM suspension and frame - is this correct? I like the idea of being able to get replacement parts locally and being that I want to be able to drive and take trips would benefit me.

What caught my eye on the '81 was the chrome bumpers and still having a carb & dizzy. What years after '81 still run with a carb and distributor? Also what was the last year for the chrome bumpers?

Guess I'm really in no hurry, would you recommend that I hold out for an '84+?

Thanks again for the info,

Everett.

I'm not sure, and hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe '85 was the last year on the Stude frame. After that I think Avanti Motors started using GM chassis...Monte Carlo, Caprice or El Camino depending on year and whether it was a coupe, 4-door, LSC or convertible.

Also I'm sure, but I believe they used carburetors throughout most of the 1980's if not completely. The big issue to me would be that for much of those years, I think they were computer controlled carburetors, which may complicate servicing and repairs.

As far as chrome bumpers go, I think '83 might be the last year for them...again I hope someone will correct me if I'm incorrect.

Since there are visual differences between chrome bumper Avanti's and rubber bumper ones...including the rectangular headlights, a lot depends on what look you prefer. I would decide what I liked better then start looking for one based on that. Each has its own faults and strengths. My own personal preferences lean towards the chrome bumper look, but condition is very important and a good rubber bumper car is preferable to a poor chrome bumper car.

To be honest, I believe the parts situation for the earlier cars is generally better than the later cars. Most parts of the early cars are Studebaker derived. Suspension and running gear aside, many parts for the later cars are adapted from other makes and it's difficult to find replacements for some parts since no one seems to have an interchange list.

Mechanical, frame and running gear parts are pretty well available for any generation Avanti. It's the small trim parts that can kill you...trying to find them and then the cost for them. Most Avanti trim parts are Avanti specific and there weren't that many Avanti's built...around 8000-9000 total, plus whatever spare parts Studebaker made. Some stuff is being reproduced today, but not everything.

Avanti's are great cars...whatever generation. Hope you find one that makes you happy.