Seeking resources for restoration of 1963 Avanti R1, San Francisco

MauiAvanti

Inherited my Dad's 1963 Avanti R1. It is being shipped from Maui to San Francisco.

I plan on a full restoration, as it is weathered from the Pacific Ocean of Hawaii -- fiberglass body is in great shape, as expected pitting on the chrome. Paint is faded, interior decomposing. Engine, exhaust, drivetrain and front end recently rebuilt.

I am looking for recommendations / resources for:

1) Paint

2) Re Chrome

3) Who can install a Phantom Works interior.

I am taking the car back to stock condition of gold exterior (currently grey). Not sure what color the interior originally was....I suppose black is a good default interior color:-)

-Ward

ward@wardmoore.com

You can contact Nostalgia Motors (they have a website) and for something like $20 obtain a copy of your car's original build sheet...it can tell how the car was originally equipped by the factory when built...interior color, exterior color, optional equipment, etc.

Maybe some Avanti owners in California can recommend a good body and paint. Try some Corvette clubs...they'll have a handle on who to recommend. If a shop knows fiberglass for Corvettes, they should have the knowledge and skill for an Avanti body.

The same goes for chroming. I know of a great chromer on the east coast, but there's likely someone your way equally good. Southern California is a car mecca...there has to be quality shops there.

A easy way to find a chrome shop...find a quality restoration outfit and ask who they use.

Everyone farms it out.

Or...

Contact a museum (Petersen, Blackhawk, or the Merele Norman place ..can't remember the real name) and ask them

Edited by J Boyle