Radiator cap?

dclewallen

I need a radiator cap for my 66 Avanti II. Is this something I can obtain at say, Napa? I'm hoping its the same as some other make of vehicle. My local Advance and Auto Zone list but can't get me one. Is the cap special and only available from a Stude. vendor? I was told caps are the same from 63-85. I'd appreciate any help I could get. Darryl

Studebaker International - Greenfield, IN (317/462-3124) tells me they have the exact reproduction (14# cap) @ $20 and a 'similar to' (13# cap) @ $8 (appx). Have not seen their parts and don't know what 'original' looks like. 1# cannot make a big difference in function.

Does your car have a coolant recovery system added since it was new? If it does, it will take a different radiator cap...one designed for a recovery system.

Just want you to make sure.

My '77 has a recovery system - looks OE. Who knows? Have only put 100 miles on car since purchase 2 weeks ago. Today was first time that upper hose had pressure. Recovery system appears to be functional. Taking the dead mouse out of the bottle helped a lot! Also had 2 troublesome leaks - one at upper rad hose (rad to rad cap tube) and 2nd at surge hose to bottle connection.