Tires

David Richey

It depends on what aspect ratio tire you want to provide the proper diameter. The best choices are P205/75R15 or P215/70R15. They're each nearly identical in diameter...the 70 series is a bit wider and is probably your best choice.

Can You run a 225/70 R15 on an Avanti [66 model] with 7" rims [15X7 American Racing Torque Thrusts not sure of backspacing]? I ask because I'm running these on my 53 Starliner and they seem to fit and run fine. I have a slightly narrower rear end in the 53 if that makes any difference. Darryl

7" wide rims are fine for 70 series tires...probably the optimum width for them. My '69 Corvette came from the factory with 70 series tires on its stock 15"x8" rims, though I think that's pushing it a bit for that size. I have P215/70R15 tires on both the Vette and my '70 Avanti. P225/70R15 tires would fit 7" wide rims just as well if not better.

When deciding on a tire/wheel combination, you're taking into account two main things...correct overall tire diameter to keep the speedometer/odometer accurate, and wheel backspacing/brake caliper clearance. If all those are within correct parameters for the car, you're fine. You also have other considerations...the "look" you want, cost, etc., but none of that counts if they won't clear the brakes, frame, body, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
7" wide rims are fine for 70 series tires...probably the optimum width for them. My '69 Corvette came from the factory with 70 series tires on its stock 15"x8" rims, though I think that's pushing it a bit for that size. I have P215/70R15 tires on both the Vette and my '70 Avanti. P225/70R15 tires would fit 7" wide rims just as well if not better.

When deciding on a tire/wheel combination, you're taking into account two main things...correct overall tire diameter to keep the speedometer/odometer accurate, and wheel backspacing/brake caliper clearance. If all those are within correct parameters for the car, you're fine. You also have other considerations...the "look" you want, cost, etc., but none of that counts if they won't clear the brakes, frame, body, etc.

once was told that to simulate '63-'64 rake, to run 215x60 on front and 245x60 on rear (don't recall discussing wheel width); best done by first removing front coil spring spacer and dropping shock - removal of spacer is best done with a spring compressor