Location for inside rear view mirror?

Pete Rutledge

My '64 Avanti came missing the inside rear view mirror. I now have all the parts to reinstall one, but need a measurement to locate it correctly. Can someone with a '63 or early '64 Avanti that has the small mirror in the original location down near the bottom of the windshield, give me the measurement on the outside of the windshield from the top edge of the windshield weatherstripping to the bottom edge of the mirror mount? I realize the mirror won't really doesn't provide a good view out the back from this location, but I want it to be right. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you do a websearch you should be able to find a copy of a Studebaker service letter that provides a factory approved location to mount the mirror at a higher spot for better rear vision. I've seen it before...it may be in a back issue of the AOAI newsletter, but hopefully it's on-line.

If you're really determined to mount the mirror low as it came from the factory, I'm sure someone here can give you the measurements you need.

Here is a picture from my Camaro Z28 seat install:

Camaro_seats_4_Avanti_042a.jpg

The measurement I get from the top of the windshields weather stripping BOTTOM

edge to the bottom of the windshields weather stripping TOP edge (glass area) at

the location of the mirror is : 18 1/8"

The mirror bottom of the circular base to the top of the bottom weather stripping is : 2 9/16"

The mirror top of the circular base to the bottom of the top weather stripping is : 14 3/8"

These are all approx OUTSIDE dimensions.

Tom

Here is a picture from my Camaro Z28 seat install:

Camaro_seats_4_Avanti_042a.jpg

The measurement I get from the top of the windshields weather stripping BOTTOM

edge to the bottom of the windshields weather stripping TOP edge (glass area) at

the location of the mirror is : 18 1/8"

The mirror bottom of the circular base to the top of the bottom weather stripping is : 2 9/16"

The mirror top of the circular base to the bottom of the top weather stripping is : 14 3/8"

These are all approx OUTSIDE dimensions.

Tom

Great! Thank you, Tom. That will do it. Just have to get some of the special windshield mirror glue.

Pete

I would suggest measuring your window at the correct location, and confirm that

its the same height. Then using the mirror base dimensions, check the top and

bottom locating dimensions I posted to confirm that the base is the same diameter.

Then I would use some kind of sharpie or something that you can mark the glass

with on the outside and with the help of a helper holding the mirror inside, locate

the mirror an mark the glass with an x and a circle. Then glue the mirror on.

Tom

Measured distance from top edge of bottom weather stripping to bottom edge of circular

mirror mount is 2 7/8" on my car. Looks like the factory was pretty consistent.