Transignitor coil

jeff werner

Can anyone help me find the part number for the coil that was correct for the prestolite transignitor that was used on my avanti.  I have an all original R1 which must have been ordered with the optional transignitor.  I have never known what it was till today.  The leads are disconnected and the unit is just mounted on the fender .  I was blessed to find an nos one on eBay today and bought it.  I want to make sure I get the proper coil for it.  I found the balance resistor, but don't know the coil to use.  I'm sure the one that is on it now is not correct since the transignitor was not hooked up.

can anyone steer me in the right direction.  Is there a replacement coil available, or a nos one out there?

jeff

1 hour ago, jeff werner said:

Can anyone help me find the part number for the coil that was correct for the prestolite transignitor that was used on my avanti.  I have an all original R1 which must have been ordered with the optional transignitor.  I have never known what it was till today.  The leads are disconnected and the unit is just mounted on the fender .  I was blessed to find an nos one on eBay today and bought it.  I want to make sure I get the proper coil for it.  I found the balance resistor, but don't know the coil to use.  I'm sure the one that is on it now is not correct since the transignitor was not hooked up.

can anyone steer me in the right direction.  Is there a replacement coil available, or a nos one out there?

jeff

Studebaker International has a replacement coil available. Part number 1565264.

Here are the instructions from Bob Johnstone's website that may be of help.

30yrsvcas.jpg
sio3c.jpg

Prezwebnew2010dfinalb.jpg

The Largest (over 4GB) Studebaker Information Portal on the Internet

J-1964-9

j-1964-9aa.jpg

J-1964-9A.jpg

j-1964-9b.jpg

j-1964-9c.jpg

j-1964-9d.jpg

j-1964-9e.jpg

j-1964-9f.jpg

j-1964-9g.jpg

j-1964-9h.jpg

j-1964-9.jpg

j-1964-9aa.jpg

j-1964-9aaa.jpg

Thank you so much for the manual pics.  Gets a little confusing since my avanti had it connected and somewhere along the way it was disconnected.  Now I have to see what was changed and what was left i.e.; tach senders, coil, ballast, condenser.  I was blessed to find a nos transignitor on eBay and grabbed it fast.  Always wondered what that funky box was on the fender disconnected!?  My avanti is completely original except for normal maintenance so I am trying to keep it unmolested.  Hopefully will be worth a lot someday.  Early production at end of 1962.

Thanks again. Nice having experts to ask.  

Jeff

28 minutes ago, jeff werner said:

Thank you so much for the manual pics.  Gets a little confusing since my avanti had it connected and somewhere along the way it was disconnected.  Now I have to see what was changed and what was left i.e.; tach senders, coil, ballast, condenser.  I was blessed to find a nos transignitor on eBay and grabbed it fast.  Always wondered what that funky box was on the fender disconnected!?  My avanti is completely original except for normal maintenance so I am trying to keep it unmolested.  Hopefully will be worth a lot someday.  Early production at end of 1962.

Thanks again. Nice having experts to ask.  

Jeff

The transignitor was added to your car,  it was not available when the car was built. 

My Avanti is 63R-2809 which is close to yours. Both built in January of 1963.

Mine is also completely original with just under 29,000 miles and have had it for 53 years this month.

Bob

Edited by Regnalbob

Thanks,  guess it was the latest cool thing to add then.  They're only original once.  Can't tell you how close I have come to restoring mine.  It's just so cool and runs so perfect. Air and all.  I'll probably buy another to drive that's restored.  Thanks for all the help.