Elimination of hog troughs with new body mounts

grobb284

Here are some photos of two of the larger body mounts to eliminate the rusted out hog troughs on an Avanti body. This should save the expense of replacing the hog troughs.

You can see we also left clearance for the chambered exhaust to act as a side pipe, but hidden underneath the rocker panel. We are hoping this eliminates a great deal of heat from under the floor pan.

The opening within the supports should allow brake lines and fuel lines to pass through the body mounts and lay along the main frame members.

This is a rearward view of the new body mounts.

SucJuHRuPGLjy5hCqsAJbJhGruCK1v6t01E0.jpg

This is a forward view of the new body mounts. The mount closest to the rear is sufficient for tying into the roll bar.

ATZxCfxIMvoJn6YpuXki8L628kQquYqy01E0.jpg

This is a forward view of the new body mounts with a standard factory style mount laid beside it (it is the one with the hole in it, much lower and smaller).

CCw4T20-eYkA1P8H8h7MTvmdMBf0J04o01E0.jpg

Regarding elimination of the hog troughs...I know they're engineered as an integral part of the car's safety design, plus they serve as an anchor for the roll bar plus help secure the body to the frame. Have you made provisions for tying the the roll bar to the frame?

I'm not trying to criticize what you're doing...I simply am interested in the engineering behind it and how you're solving issues that crop up. I know automotive engineering has progressed far since our cars were built in the '60's (Hell...the Avanti chassis is early 1950's technology!).

I'm really interested in seeing your finished product and how it works in the real world. It should make a real screamer of a automobile...Avanti or otherwise.

Regarding elimination of the hog troughs...I know they're engineered as an integral part of the car's safety design, plus they serve as an anchor for the roll bar plus help secure the body to the frame. Have you made provisions for tying the the roll bar to the frame?

The most rearward body mount in this photo (the one prominent in the photo) will be able to mount directly to the roll bar. In this case it will be directly tied to the frame. Good question.

ATZxCfxIMvoJn6YpuXki8L628kQquYqy01E0.jpg