Looking for body parts for 1971 Avanti

GAWen

I am looking for a left front outer fender nd a battery box for my 1971 Avanti RQB 1600. A city utility truck smacked my avanti while it was parked in front of my house. Any help greatly appreciated. George Wendell (702) 768-6709

You can try Studebaker International, Nostalgic Motors, or Myers Studebaker. Any of them should have what you're looking for.

I bought a right front quarter panel for RQB1574 from Studebaker International...great service and quick shippers. They shipped the parts right to the restoration shop. My '70 also needed some work under the battery box and the body shop fabricated that repair and it looks like factory new.

Also...if you're interested, there's a nearly complete 1970 Avanti II body on Ebay right now.

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for a left front outer fender nd a battery box for my 1971 Avanti RQB 1600. A city utility truck smacked my avanti while it was parked in front of my house. Any help greatly appreciated. George Wendell (702) 768-6709

Several Body shops here in Las Vegas have quoted as high as $10,942.00 to repair RQB1600. I have located the necessary body panels (less than $700.00), the rest is in labor and paint. However one shopI went to is willing to do the damage repair and restore the balance of the body, including paint for less than the high quote from the other shop. Hopefully, by the end of January, RQB1600, will be styling and profiling, looking good in her new coat of yellow. George Wendell

Several Body shops here in Las Vegas have quoted as high as $10,942.00 to repair RQB1600. I have located the necessary body panels (less than $700.00), the rest is in labor and paint. <snip>

$11k to repair/replace the left fender sounds WAY too high to me. Decent paint for the entire body, however, can run upwards of $6k if done right, plus any needed bodywork that may be needed when the car is stripped down to fiberglass and inspected for prior damage. I would add perhaps $1k plus parts for the fender fiberglass work to that amount.

Be sure you've talked to a couple of shops that specialize in fiberglass (ie, Corvette repair).

I'm sure it'll be great to have her looking fresh again.

I did take the Avanti to several shops, the high quote was $10,900 (This was at a shop that does nothing but rare collectibiles), down to $3,000.00. RQB 1600 is going into the shop that quoted $8,500.00. Reasons: 1) the shop has been owned by the same person for 45 years. 2) the shop has been in the same building for 44 years. 3) the shop owner has previousely restored a Avanti. 4) The shop owner previousely owned a 1988 Avanti convertible.

George

Sounds like you made a good choice. The dollars alone don't tell the story on a body shop. High price doesn't necessarily mean quality work anymore than a low price automatically means substandard work. Experience, stability and reputation means a lot.

I picked the shop for rebuilding RQB1574 for several reasons...I know the owner from my Corvette club, they've been in business for years, while they do general body repairs, they also have a team dedicated to restorations and they specialize in Corvettes, so they're experienced in fiberglass and body on frame assembly techniques. Right now in their shop, besides my car, is a '67 GTO, '70 Chevelle SS396 and a '96 Corvette Grand Sport. BTW - the Grand Sport is owned by the President of my Corvette club...a beautiful car he took to the drag strip and lost control of, hitting the guard rail. What he was thinking I don't know.

While the money is certainly important, having the job done correctly is equally important.