Transmission fluid leak

A83

My transmission seal keeps leaking after four attempted fixes any ideas? I don't know what kind of transmission it is so I am not much help. I am told it's a leak in the seal. They supposedly put a new upgraded one in but still leaking.

Thank you

A83 Kevin

Usually, when a transmission seal leaks it's because of worn parts. Either the housing bushing that the drive shaft yoke slides into is won, or the drive shaft slip yoke itself is worn and or grooved.

More information is needed. Is this on the 63 that is in your tag line? As Brad stated, installing a new seal on a part with a worn out bushing or seal cut torque converter doesn't last. Your invoice from the "repair" shop should state what seals were replaced and what parts used. These transmissions ARE not rocket science, ford used the same basic transmission, the cast iron or later FMX , Don't let the 'repair shop tell you parts are hard to find both Transtar and NATPRO BIG players in the parts industry have seal up kits and master kits for your transmission. Lou Cote 31 years in the transmission repair industry.

I'm bad, if this is an 83 you should have an overdrive automatic, same info on bushings apply to this unit . Was the front pump removed and seal, oring pump gasket and bushing replaced? Just replacing front seal won't fix a bad bushing, or seal cut torque converter. Lou Cote

Thank you both per the invoice they replaced the speedo seal I am told it is a GM transmission don't know how old but a new engine was placed in this car (350) before I bought it. I will pass this on to them - do you think I need a new transmission or can other parts be replaced to facilitate the repair

Thanks very much for the help

Kevin

If the unit is working properly, I would just seal up the leaks and drive your Avanti. The most common places for small leaks; pan gasket, manual shaft seal, speedo inner , outer seals and driven gear. Also possible dip stick o ring or seal, throttle cable seal. Less likely is the servo cover on the right side (passenger) side of the case. ALL of these issues can be addressed with the trans in the car. Lou Cote