How alike are the 1963 Studebaker Avanti and 1966 Jaguar E-Type 2+2?

rgallatin

As much as I love the Avanti design, I think the Jaguar E-Type is probably the most beautiful car ever designed...especially the early series prior to having the headlight covers removed.

Another little factoid...for the movie "Goldfinger" the movie producers requested an E-Model from Jaguar. Jaguar declined prompting the use of the Aston-Martin DB-5...I wonder if Jaguar is still smarting from that blunder? The creator of James Bond...Ian Fleming...owned an Avanti R2. Now...just a rhetorical question...what would the desirability and values of the Avanti be today if one was used in "Goldfinger" rather than the Aston? I imagine there would be a lot of Avantis made into James Bond clone vehicles...with faux ejection seats, tracking devices, machine guns behind the front turn signals, etc. Still...I can't see the producers using a non-British car for the movie. Still...fun to think "what if..."

Agree, both are icons of the era, the most beautiful of the early '60s. It's unfortunate the designers still had one foot back in the past and it's the holdover of the upright windshield as the only line on either car which dates the design.

jack vines