Help! new, in need of tips + air intake pipe question

Isaiah P.

Hey guys!! im extremely new to the car and avanti world, and when i found this website, i was over the moon. i need all you car nerds to help me out now!!! 

i inherited my grandpas red 1984 avanti when he passed, and over the past year or so, me and my dad have been wokring to get it fixed up. it drives nicely, got lots of parts replaced. but im 17 and have close to no knowledge on cars at all, let alone such a niche brand as this. Im curious on what i should check and have worked on, as i wouldnt know. The cars been sitting dormant in the sun and elements for id say 10 years or a little under.

One big problem we have is overheating. Twice now its gotten so bad that the coolant starts boiling over and steaming out of the hood. Part of this problem is that one of the two intake hoses you see when you pop the trunk is missing. the intake shape is really weird, so i ask that if you guys have any idea how to get a replacement, let me know. 

im developing a really cool passion for this car and its history, and you guys are like my last hope!! give me some tips!!

Great story!!..,As far as the overheating….Your Avanti sat for quite awhile, so I think I’d start by flushing out the radiator/engine block … and also install a new 160’ thermostat….

Many Avantis tend to run warm in the summer, but if the coolant is boiling, there probably is a restriction somewhere in the cooling system… Best wishes.. Your grandpa would be proud of you!!

PS… if your ‘84 has factory electric radiator fans, several ‘84’s had the electric fans changed out for engine driven mechanical viscous fans, as the electrics  did not cool down the engine as well.

Edited by mfg
Added text

If not already done...replace the radiator hoses...particularly the lower hose.  If it's collapsing under vacuum pressure when driving it will cut off the coolant's circulation.  Test the radiator cap...if it's not hold pressure it will allow coolant to boil over.  Make sure it's the correct cap...depending on whether the car has a closed or open system.  After enough time it could have been changed from factory.  Also make sure the radiator holds pressure.  

After so much time has passed any car can have cooling issues.