1963 R1 starting/running difficulties

iamrgh

Avanti has original 289 and AFB with an Edelbrock electric choke and a Pertronix billet distributor, heat riser removed. Twice after going to a cruise-in after the car has set for a couple of hours, the engine will restart readily and then begin to stumble and die.  Then it's really difficult to restart. (usually accomplished by manually holding choke plate closed and flooring accelerator pedal.) Once back on the road, the stumbling stops and it runs well -plenty of power acceleration and idles well at stops. The car usually cold starts well but has caused the same problem at times even on a cold start. I'm no mechanic and am clueless as to how to resolve this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

That what 'mfg' said.......   and I'll  bet that if you install a manual choke, your experience will be much better.   I'm not familiar with an Edelbrock electric choke but the ones I had were energized as soon as you turn the ignition key on.  If the engine doesn't start right away,  the choke continues to open and you're basically out of options, unless you pour some gas down the carb or turn the key off and wait 15 minutes for the choke coil to get cold again...

A long time ago, I had an electric choke kit (1967) that was wired to one of the exhaust manifold bolts to sense engine temps and that would be  great for today's cars as it would emulate the original auto choke process.

BTW, I saw your car in the Gilmore just last June.   Very nice car and a great place..

Edited by silverstude

On 8/19/2024 at 10:00 AM, silverstude said:

That what 'mfg' said.......   and I'll  bet that if you install a manual choke, your experience will be much better.   I'm not familiar with an Edelbrock electric choke but the ones I had were energized as soon as you turn the ignition key on.  If the engine doesn't start right away,  the choke continues to open and you're basically out of options, unless you pour some gas down the carb or turn the key off and wait 15 minutes for the choke coil to get cold again...

A long time ago, I had an electric choke kit (1967) that was wired to one of the exhaust manifold bolts to sense engine temps and that would be  great for today's cars as it would emulate the original auto choke process.

BTW, I saw your car in the Gilmore just last June.   Very nice car and a great place..