X#!% those speed bumps!

I didn't have this problem with my late '71 Avanti (RIP). But speed bumps and my '84 Avanti don't get along at all. Here's why: ground clearance from the frame rail is 5 1/4". Clearance from the transmission cross member is 3.5", and even less when you factor in the threaded bolts and nuts. 700R4 tranny. 245/45 ZR 17 tires, and no sign the car has been lowered. I'm not a bottom feeder, so any suggestions?

Edited by Desert Driver

The stock wheel/tire package [205/75-15] on your '84 Avanti stood about 27.11" in diameter. Your current wheel/tire diameter sits at 25.68". 1.4" is a minuscule difference though even half of that would give 0.7" more clearance.

255/50-17 tires would be 27.04", closer to the factory height. I know tires can be an expensive remedy, not every size is available across all types (winter, all-season, high perf. summer, etc), and your current tires may have a lot of life left in them. Maybe look for a bigger set as a coming replacement?

Though I have a Blake car, I have not yet gotten to the suspension teardown, was a spacer supposed to be below the coil springs and has been removed?

Air shocks like HiJackers from Gabriel could be an option, at least for the rear (but would change your car's rake). My father put some on the rear of 1025 and plumbed the Schrader valve to the license plate frame. If the rear was sagging we'd "pump up the license plate" with more air. My auto shop classmates thought that was a hoot.

Air ride or coilovers could be a remedy. Neither are cheap though.