Suspended Avanti!

mfg

The ‘suspended pedal’ clutch linkage, introduced by Studebaker on the ‘61 Larks and later on the Avantis, was a big improvement over the old pre-61 Stude passenger car clutch linkage……True?

Don't know if there is any real right or wrong to this. I've found that (on Larks at least, haven't had an Avanti yet) there are a lot more places for wear on the suspended pedal clutch linkage. I have one 'thru the floor' clutch linkage car ('54 Regal 4-door sedan) and several Lark suspended setups, but I think I prefer the under the floor setup better. 

I'm sure to the buying public it was a big improvement at the time................and of course a 'thru the floor' clutch would look pretty stupid on a "modern" sports car like the Avanti.

Anyway, I'll say FALSE because of the increase in the number of wear points. 

Edited by r1lark

6 hours ago, r1lark said:

Don't know if there is any real right or wrong to this. I've found that (on Larks at least, haven't had an Avanti yet) there are a lot more places for wear on the suspended pedal clutch linkage. I have one 'thru the floor' clutch linkage car ('54 Regal 4-door sedan) and several Lark suspended setups, but I think I prefer the under the floor setup better. 

I'm sure to the buying public it was a big improvement at the time................and of course a 'thru the floor' clutch would look pretty stupid on a "modern" sports car like the Avanti.

Anyway, I'll say FALSE because of the increase in the number of wear points. 

I, for one, agree with you… the earlier clutch linkage setup is all but unbreakable, while the later ‘modern’ setup simply did not age very well.