'Choked' Avanti!

mfg

Over the years, many Stude Avanti owners have removed/defeated the heat riser valve, which is a part of an Avanti's right side exhaust system...

Living here in the Boston area, with the recent cold temps, I'm glad I've kept the heat riser 'operational' on my '63, helping the AFB's choke valve open up as quickly as possible!

Granted, it was in Northern Cal. but winter temps do get chilly there. 1025 was garaged but it sure didn't like cold starts. Cold starts were always an event; cold mornings even more-so.

It was a challenge starting & warming'er-up with no choke. Once the engine was started, even very rough, I'd release the parking brake and be off, trying to make progress. I would neutral rev on straights, attempting to generate more heat. There was a mile to cover within the housing development and normally the engine would be warm enough by the time I could legally exceed 25 that it was safe to let the engine idle at stop signs and stop lights without having to neutral rev there also.

That was kinda my metric: Car stalls inside housing development? It's not warm enough. Car stalls outside of housing development? Got-damn; what the #@*! is wrong this week?

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

Granted, it was in Northern Cal. but winter temps do get chilly there. 1025 was garaged but it sure didn't like cold starts. Cold starts were always an event; cold mornings even more-so.

It was a challenge starting & warming'er-up with no choke. Once the engine was started, even very rough, I'd release the parking brake and be off, trying to make progress. I would neutral rev on straights, attempting to generate more heat. There was a mile to cover within the housing development and normally the engine would be warm enough by the time I could legally exceed 25 that it was safe to let the engine idle at stop signs and stop lights without having to neutral rev there also.

That was kinda my metric: Car stalls inside housing development? It's not warm enough. Car stalls outside of housing development? Got-damn; what the #@*! is wrong this week?

Great story!!...Using a 'race prepped' R3 Avanti as an everyday commuter was  no doubt, a real challenge...even in warm weather!!....Ed

… wasn't done working on the original but I didn't have a say.

I'd love to create a very close clone. About the only changes I'd make: build it with a third pedal and increase the rear contact patches. A Dana 44 having been "shimmed tighter" would be cool to feel a 4k RPM side-step of the clutch with a simultaneous plant to WOT.