copy of member directory for 1976

Mark L

Does anyone have a copy of a membership directory for 1976, or know how I can find a copy?

I'm trying to track down a previous owner of my Avanti.  The Bob Johnstone Avanti website indicates the 1976 member directory showed an Edward V. Albert in La Mesa California owned the car at that time.  He may not live there any more, but I'm trying to connect the dots to see if he's still alive and where he might live now.

I was recently given an almost complete collection of Avanti Magazine and newsletters from 2017 all the way back to issue #1 in 1965.  I know it's all available on digital media now, but the guy needed to move, and it was free.  Would the member information be found in any of the newsletters/magazines from the 1970's?

Thank you for your assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  In early December 2023 performed an online search and found Edward V. Albert III in Texas who previously had an address in La Mesa California.  All the telephone numbers were disconnected or now assigned to others, so I ended up writing him a letter and snail-mailing it to him.  A few days ago he responded by email !

It turns out his parents, Edward V. Albert II and his wife, owned the car and are listed in the 1976 AOAI registry.  The car was primarily driven by his mother.  He said they actually owned two different 1963 Avantis.  The first one was white with a brown interior and was totaled in an accident.  The second one was "blue with a blue interior" that they owned into the 1980s.  63R-1204 was delivered with a white exterior and turquoise interior, but now has a different body that had turquoise paint before it was repainted white.

The 1976 roster shows they owned 63R-1204 at that time.  Those of you who have access to the AOAI rosters from the 1970s, can you please see if any of those show the Alberts owning a different 1963 Avanti before 1976?  If there is a different serial number prior to them owning 1204, according to their son, that earlier Avanti was totaled.

It would be interesting to find out if the car I own was the one that was actually totaled and later rebuilt with the different body.

Edited by Mark L

Some additional information provided to me by Edward V. Albert III about the 2nd 1963 Avanti:  "I know my father received the car as an insurance settlement from State Farm after their previous 1963 Avanti was totaled in a crash.  My father's policy with State Farm gave him the option of "cash value" or "like model automobile". He held out for the like model and I know it took several months for State Farm to locate a car he would accept. Must have been painted turquoise before he acquired it.  I believe he told me the placement car was within about 10 serial number of his original car."

This means the first Avanti they owned would have been 63R-119x through 63R-121x, where "x" is an unknown number, and that car was totaled.  It was purchased used around 1966 and they owned it until the mid 1970s when it was wrecked.

Edited by Mark L

That's interesting, because R1889 is a turquoise over turquoise car.

What years were rosters available, were they printed in the Avanti magazine/newsletter, or were they always a separate booklet?  Are there any rosters prior to 1976 where Edward Albert was listed as a member?  If so, which cars did it list?

The 66-67 Roster does not show Edward Albert as a member and the cars are not listed by serial number, only by year, model and color.

The 1970 Roster does not show him as a member.

Also 63R-1204 and 63R-1889 are not listed.