Steering Wheel Repair

Rick Allen

My steering wheel has developed some play at both ends where the two metals spokes meet the wheel, and I see some small stress cracks in plastic where the metal spokes 404314188_IMG_20230704_1433128702.thumb.jpg.cd51a0151087a64e0cf214984cc50ce3.jpgattach.

I need to repair this before it gets worse, luckily the steering wheel itself has no other cracks or breaks, appreciate any suggestions on how to make this repair,,,

I'd try forcing clear fiberglass resin into the cracks...after carefully masking off wheel spokes, and all but the cracked area of plastic wood grain wheel rim.

If the spokes are actually breaking away from the metal rim core...there is no easy fix for that.

If the spokes really are breaking away from rim core, you may be able to cut away 'just enough' wood grain plastic from back side of wheel, at the spoke-rim joint, then mig weld spokes to metal rim core, then fill in rear area with fiberglass, or even body filler.

Edited by mfg
added text

Rewelding the spokes to the metal rim core requires a significant removal of the steering wheel plastic.  Rebuilding/restoring and color matching the "wood grained" plastic is more difficult on the later style wheel than rebuilding the rim on an earlier Avanti.  Good luck!

Edited by psdenno