1991 Rear Axle

Stacey

I was under the impression the complete drive line under my 1991 Conv was from a 1991 Caprice. So while in the process of ordering parts to upgrade the rear axle ratio and adding a limited Slip, Posi unit we find out what I thought I had I don't. Seems the rear axle is out of a S-10 pick up truck, not a Caprice. It has 4 link as opposed to leaf springs. Both ends of the drive shaft U joints are not the same, front is square, rear are oblong. The frame was cut midship and a section removed to shorten the frame to fit as that is not what I was told, got the impression they chopped off the frame of the Caprice at the rear. Then they had to cut the driveshaft and weld it together, of course not straight! So that is off and now being recut and welded and balanced. What a mixed bag of misc parts they used.

11 hours ago, IndyJimW said:

Motor/Alldata Repair is showing 1991 Chevrolet Caprice as having coil spring rear suspension.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Exactly, that was what I expected to be there, but not on this car.  So after trying to find a exact duplicate GM rear axle it comes up as a S-10. Now the issue is getting the speedo to read correctly, as it reads speeds two ways one off the transmission spinning and 2, off the tone ring for the ABS brakes inside the rear axle housing. Alwys seems like a lot of small things make a job so much harder to do. Along with the two different U joints types and sizes, a Caprice front joint at the transmission and the S-10 at the rear.

So this axle has spring pads for the rear leaf springs like a S10? S10's don't have the coil springs or 4 link system link the  Caprice and Monte Carlo. 

Caprice also used a rear axle tone ring for the speed sensor.

What is the axle code?

Good luck,

Jim Wood

This has turned into a real cluster...The fellow doing the work I think is in over his head? It is not a S-10 axle, but a Caprice as I had thought. It has coil springs and 4 link system. The tone ring that was switched from the orignal axle pinon to the new 3:73 gear set should not have been used. So today a correct ring was ordered to correct the problem we would have had with the ABS system. So still without my car,. It does look good up on his rack. He will take apart the new ring and pinon set he installed to replace the tone ring. Said he will save the new fluid and modifier he has in the axle and reuse it. At least I'm not being charged for the additional labor, just the new ring. The saga continues.