Door locked

Geoff

1985. No battery. Passenger door. No lock rod topper. I can’t even see the rod up at the hole. No door key, just two ignition keys.

What I have is access to the interior at the lock escutcheon. Do I get a long and burly common screwdriver and then … handle low, pry up? Handle high pry down? What’s the scoop for this?

I suppose I could remove the driver’s side and have a locksmith key the lock, especially since I need this anyway.

If I'm understanding correctly -  you cannot manually unlock either door from the outside because of no key.  Also, the passenger door has lock mechanism issues.  I would suggest removing the interior door panel on the passenger side to see what is going on (including rusted parts).  Then you could also have the locksmith make a new key using the passenger side lock.  If you can't even open the passenger door there should be a small opening at the edge of the door on the inside where you can use a screwdriver to manipulate the locking/latching device (play with it). 

Yes, that little opening at the door catch I may access. Are the door lock 'hook' and the door catch 'hook' two separate pieces? Does the lock just have an extra hold on the door catch 'hook'? How does that whole area operate?

I'd love to be able to open the passenger side door prior to removing the door panel just so I may sit on the rocker panel and work into the open air. The inside is getting gutted though I'd prefer removing the RF seat with that door open.

I've been trying to remember - I think my door wouldn't open from the inside so 'playing' with the latch mechanism (lifting with flat head screwdriver) while pulling on interior door handle and pushing out lightly.  In the end I guess a small spring on the latch mechanism was worn out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got it opened today. It was one stuck buggar, and I might have broke the latch housing in the process. Oh well, this thing is my basket case.