Modifying the 'fat lip' bumper

Geoff

Okay, open source spitballing session:

I was looking intently at my 85's front bumper and started noticing things. The top flat panel behind the bumper, in front of the car's fascia could simply be removed. With that out of the way some other interesting modifications might be able to be made (unless I'm missing something). That bumper could be mounted back some. How much is some? I'm not sure, an inch? Three inches? Some other value?

The bumper is attached with two frontal metal brackets (from what I saw). Okay, segment out [insert dimension here] and re-weld the pieces to be shorter which would pull the bumper rearward. Now the car's front fender pontoons become a point of interference. Okay, carefully remove material from the bumper's backside to match the body's profile.

The last difficulty I saw in drawing the bumper rearward is the area where it blends with the front edge of each wheel well. The wheel well has a profile and the bumper would require trimming to match that profile, also presuming we need to cut off [insert dimension here] and maybe find a new rear attachment, because I see there is a fastener (bolt or otherwise) fairly close to what would be removed.

*Oh yeah, two side metal brackets; I almost hit submit. I didn't see them though I recall those being in place from working on 1025. I presume they are on these cars so those brackets would require alterations.

Would that do it? Did I miss another piece? Does the extended front bumper have to remain? I mean, I can pull up behind a WRX STI with the table rear wing, sit on my factory picnic bench bumper and eat lunch there, but other than that … could these Avantis reel in their front bumper?

I know people convert to chrome bumpers though maybe there others who like the Euro-esque look of the Blake cars, and just want it mounted closer to flush?

11 minutes ago, GeoffC312 said:

I was looking intently at my 85's front bumper and started noticing things. The top flat panel behind the bumper, in front of the car's fascia could simply be removed. With that out of the way some other interesting modifications might be able to be made (unless I'm missing something). That bumper could be mounted back some. How much is some? I'm not sure, an inch? Three inches? Some other value?

The bumper is attached with two frontal metal brackets (from what I saw). Okay, segment out [insert dimension here] and re-weld the pieces to be shorter which would pull the bumper rearward. Now the car's front fender pontoons become a point of interference. Okay, carefully remove material from the bumper's backside to match the body's profile.

What about the 5 mph bumper collision impact (shock absorber system)?

I'll take a more detailed look at my car Thursday when I return to work on it. I had not seen those but if they're contained within the bumper cover I would chuck'em. At 5 or even 15 mph I'd accept whatever happens to the front. Especially if that removes weight.

Alternatively there may be a way to modify them to set retracted. I'll look and update here.

I haven't been down to work on it yet but am poking my head in for a logistical update. I bought this car after it sat like this from 1998 until last August. There is nothing in great condition beneath it; the torque boxes are toast and several of the frame's eight side outrigging tabs are non-existent. The owner I bought it from had it for a handful of weeks and flipped it.

At any rate, the shock absorber system mentioned may not have survived the prior owner tugging it out of being molested by plant life. The green picture is after it was already pulled. I got to thinking about that today. Somebody might mention, "But what about this part?" And I'm going to be like, "Uh … yeah. What about that part? It's not on my car."

This is also why I am interested in taking the path of the Targa Tasmania Avanti where that owner 86'd the torque boxes and reinforced the rocker panels / door sills, just because f'k rust that's why.

278466044_10225118461840967_8466721112821933282_n crop.jpg

299249335_1199800840807276_696491847742957116_n crop.jpg

I went Friday to work on my car and poked around. I did not see any of the collision impact system on my car. Which opens this quandary, are they really necessary? I mean except to appease some DOT or NHTSA standard. My car looks as it does ⬆️ (okay in those pictures she's dirty) but the bumper remains in place. I even sat on it, centered with the fascia, and no creaking or sagging occurred.

I would think the components extending the bumper could be shortened (or removed as necessary) if an owner wanted to do so. This would require trimming of the front bumper's rear most side pieces so it's not easy to revert … although with plastic welding as a possibility, maybe so?