Engine Block Replacement

Rick Allen

Okay I'm starting a new question:

If an Avanti engine is replaced under warranty by Studebaker, whether it is a 63 or 64, how is it identified(numbered/stamped)?

I realize because of the relatively short production run of Avanti and assuming a 12-month warranty, it is possible it may be hard to find that any engines were replaced under warranty and how they would have been identified.

Edited by Rick Allen
Additional Info

1 hour ago, Rick Allen said:

Okay I'm starting a new question:

If an Avanti engine is replaced under warranty by Studebaker, whether it is a 63 or 64, how is it identified(numbered/stamped)?

I realize because of the relatively short production run of Avanti and assuming a 12-month warranty, it is possible it may be hard to find that any engines were replaced under warranty and how they would have been identified.

The short (or long) block engine would have been shipped to the dealer with a blank serial number pad,  then the dealer was expected to stamp original serial number onto replacement block with 1/4"  I.D. punches.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

The short (or long) block engine would have been shipped to the dealer with a blank serial number pad,  then the dealer was expected to stamp original serial number onto replacement block with 1/4"  I.D. punches.

Thank you, that makes sense, it would keep the original number as it should!,,,

1 hour ago, Rick Allen said:

Thank you, that makes sense, it would keep the original number as it should!,,,

Agreed, but how many Stude dealers followed through with that procedure we can only guess...I purchased a '63 GT Hawk (with a replacement 289) years ago, and the block pad was left blank.

18 hours ago, mfg said:

Agreed, but how many Stude dealers followed through with that procedure we can only guess...I purchased a '63 GT Hawk (with a replacement 289) years ago, and the block pad was left blank.

That wouldn't surprise me, I'm sure some dealerships weren't as diligent as the Studebaker corporation would have had them be,,,